Mentor Corporation
www.mentorcorp.com Santa Barbara, CA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Amateur Hour at Mentor: Inexperienced Management Team J&J has made Mentor a Process Heavy Snail.

Marketing Manager (Former Employee)
Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at Mentor Corporation

ProsPeople are genuinely friendly and seeing that everyone for the most part is around the same age, it can be a fun place to work. Young professionals 20's to mid-forties. They have some morale building functions such as employee appreciation day where they bus everyone up to Santa Ynez for wine tasting and a party. They have full disclosure luncheons where they review company performance. The location can't be beat. Gym and locker facilities that all back up to bike trails that lead to the beach. Paradise. The facilities are nice as well. I had an office with french doors and ordered whatever office furniture I wanted.

ConsIt is amateur hour at Mentor. There are people who have been there for ages and have risen through the ranks despite their performance. This may be because Santa Barbara is a hard place to find talented experienced workers (very expensive location) so those that are there never leave. As a company they are very risk adverse and take forever to make a decision. They purchase technology and then do nothing with it such as the case with Byron Medical. They bought the company, invested in building up brands, fired their sales force to kill the brand, then changed their mind to re-invest and build it back up again. As a consequence they have missed opportunities and have lost talented people. Now that Johnson & Johnson owns Mentor it has become very bureaucratic and process heavy which further kills progress and creativity. They rely too heavily on their implant business and do not offer a diversified portfolio of products. They have a lot of cash but not much on innovation. Same old technology. Breast implants are almost a commodity. Not much difference between the competition Allergan. Any new players out there?

Advice to Senior ManagementAn MBA doesn't necessarily mean you are hiring the best and the brightest. Look at the track record of your employees and what they bring to the table before you advance them. Remove the process jungle and execute your plan! Then stick to the plan. Mentor has missed out on technologies such as the Lap Band, Botox, and stem cell technologies. Start to look for innovation in your industry and invest in the new generation of thought leaders (KOL's). The KOL's you currently have are quickly becoming dinosaurs. What happened to being nimble Josh?

Good learning experience

Quality Supervisor (Former Employee)

I worked at Mentor Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Great pay and benefits and great learning opportunities. The products… Cons: Lack of leadership, no advancement, lack of project direction. I felt like we were spinning our wheels. There… Advice to Senior Management: The high performers would stay if there was more leadership and accountability, as well as… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Watch your back

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Mentor Corporation full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Used to be a great company before J&J took over. Now employees are just a line in… Cons: You are just a number. No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Mentor Corporation.

Worked for Mentor Corporation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Mentor Corporation reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Mentor Corporation CEO Joshua H. Levine. All reviews posted anonymously by Mentor Corporation employees.