There are newer employer reviews for Mentor Graphics

A fantastic place to work

Former Employee - Technical Marketing Engineer  in  Portland, OR
Former Employee - Technical Marketing Engineer in Portland, OR

I worked at Mentor Graphics

Pros

I was fortunate to work on a leading technology and contribute ideas without much opposition. The management and culture was very open where I worked most of my time there. Some divisions are more ordered and regimented, luckily mine was more like a mature but still nimble start-up. The headquarters is in Portland, Oregon not Silicon Valley which meant a higher quality of life, lower cost of living (offsets lower pay than California, where it's all the opposite!). It's a dynamic and hip young city that was a joy to live in (and becoming the west coast's music city, a la Austin, TX). I was able to live downtown with a quick and easy freeway commute, about the only time that I really needed my car other than going to the airport (where long term parking is among the cheapest).

Cons

I worked at the headquarters and heard little negative stuff there. What little I did hear, tended to come from small branch offices that were mostly sales and support.

Work harder to align the goals of your technology initiatives when they overlap or even conflict between divisions.

267 Other Employee Reviews for Mentor Graphics (View Most Recent)

Good people, but not good to advance your career

Former Employee - Application Engineer  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Application Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Mentor Graphics

Pros

- Learn the state of art tools and deal with all different companies from Start-ups to large companies. Good learning experience.
    - Good sales team and team coaching
    - Caring management

Cons

- Hard to get promoted in your career after several years' hard work
    - Some tough people to deal with

Need be more aggressive to compete with Synopsys and Cadence and lead the competition.

Mentor Graphics

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Mentor Graphics

Pros

Everyone has offices (at least in San Jose). San Jose office is relatively convenient (not like, say, Fremont) to most people in Silicon Valley.

Cons

I have yet to really understand how MGC's management works. It is not always clear who is making decisions. Recent cutbacks in benefits.

Think about what you need to do to keep employee morale at a high level even after the recession ends.

There are newer employer reviews for Mentor Graphics

Worked for Mentor Graphics? Contribute to the Community!