Mentor Graphics

www.mentor.com
  www.mentor.com
There are newer employer reviews for Mentor Graphics

Some senior management executives are incompetent

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

I worked at Mentor Graphics

Pros

1) 24 days of free time off per year for everyone.
2) Good work life balance.
3) Most people get a company laptop (new or used depending on job function).
4) Good coffee/espresso machines in Fremont office; free fresh milk included.
5) See Con #1 below; it can be a pro depending on what type of person you are or group you belong to.

Cons

1) Some overlaps in customer facing positions, resulting in redundancy. A few people do the work, and others who do not contribute (or contribute very little) can take the credit, too, because each is reporting to different bosses (in different offices). Wasteful resources; create low morality for people who do the work.
2) Fremont office smells bad due to its close proximity to an old dumpster site.
3) Some politicking in non-R&D job.

Too much power and politics in sales/field organization, because there are many people with little to do. Invest more in R&D instead. For the benefit of the company, get rid of your friends who are incompetent; they are bringing more of their incompetent friends! These are some reasons why the company isn't as lean and efficient as it can be.

278 Other Employee Reviews for Mentor Graphics (View Most Recent)

A nice place to take a break during one's career.

Current Employee - Technical Marketing Engineer in Wilsonville, OR
    Current Employee - Technical Marketing Engineer in Wilsonville, OR

I have been working at Mentor Graphics

Pros

My peers are among the most brilliant, energetic people I've worked with and I've learned a lot from them. Company allows flexible working hours, sometimes too flexible. Generous vacation: 24 days + a floating holiday, and many regular holidays. The Wilsonville campus is an amazing place with a gym and workout facility, duck ponds, on-site child care, and other wildlife.

Cons

Most organizations seem too top-heavy, so there is no career path for those at the bottom, the "doers" Mentor as a company is structurally disadvantaged where each division seems like its own subsidiary with no inter-division cooperation, and possibly even competition for sales revenue. Mentor wants to sell "solutions" but in reality will always sell independent point tools due to the lack of collaboration. To advance one's career, one must either leave or go to a new division within Mentor.

Why be so quick to ignore advice from bottom-dwellers like us TMEs? Management is bent on gathering new data without ever acting on the data they already have. Instead of focusing on solid products we can be proud of, we add shaky new features on a shaky foundation. Also why can't we get an RTL synthesis tool, however rudimentary - such a disadvantage to rely on competitors to complete the design flow.

Overall A Great Company but left to languish by Senior Management

Former Employee - Director in Wilsonville, OR
    Former Employee - Director in Wilsonville, OR

I worked at Mentor Graphics

Pros

Interesting work with the potential to do leading edge advancements. Great physical work environment. Compensation is good particularly for the local economy. Quality of life is excellent in Oregon.

Cons

Senior manage ment has loaded the company with debt while not building any momentum over an amazingly long period of time. The inability to run the company at strong profit levels has lead to an overall malaise in the employee population where some have described the place as a county club.

Leave and let someone else reinvigorate the business.

There are newer employer reviews for Mentor Graphics