Senior Actuarial Analyst

Current Employee - Senior Actuarial Analyst in Los Angeles, CA
Current Employee - Senior Actuarial Analyst in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Mercer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent exposure to challenging projects. Opportunities to learn about general structure of employee benefits. Great office atmosphere and culture.

Cons

Very set promotion stucture for entry level positions.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Used to be a great company to work for

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant

I have been working at Mercer full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have worked with some great people. Depending on what line of business and personalities, they do offer some flexibility in schedule and the ability (not for all) to work remotely. Very impressed with the new CEO he's great.

Cons

Extremely outdated technology and systems, behind our competitors and our clients. This poses problems when opening documents and working on documents with advanced formatting sent by client. I understand some of the rationale behind "why" we have not updated (compatibility with internal systems) but overall, other companies and competitors seem to be able to do it, so why can't we? It's really embarrassing. Terrible billing system and processes related and oppty tracking system is not user friendly or logical.

Local office leadership style a bit rough (comes across insensitive when communicating changes or delivery of information) doesn't seem to care about how employees feel about things or how he/she comes across to employees. Makes decisions that really don't make sense or are self-serving. Favoritism seems to becoming more an issue, at least at my location and tied to leadership locally.

Overall, the firm does not seem to value all employees, rather they selectively invest in those they feel are worthy. We've changed branding twice in a year. Does not offer remote working for all (others in same position are able to work remotely, while others are not given the opportunity to do so).

Advice to Management

Please value all of us. Please give us the tools to do our job, please invest in your employees. Please recognize our contributions whether we are partners, principals, associates or administrative assistants. Please a closer look at local office leadership to determine if the right people are in place for the job. For expense control measures, you may also want to look more closely at expense reports for appropriateness. This is an area where change is needed and clearer policies on what can be expensed.

2. Learned a lot; extremely long hours

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Dallas, TX

I worked at Mercer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Loved working with the clients

Cons

Team mates were overly competitive at times

Advice to Management

In a struggling economy, adjust pricing/rates to market.