There are newer employer reviews for Mercer

A company that's starting to invest more in its people but work-life balance is rough

Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Mercer full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Mercer's a clear leader in its field and it has a great reputation and client roster. There are great people there at multiple levels.

Cons

The work-life balance there is rough and it faces what all consulting firms face -- a challenge of investing in its people when you are client-first.

Advice to Management

Invest in employee engagement

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. As a designer it is stable... and extremely boring

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Mercer full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Job stability, great co-workers and boss, cafeteria in the building, decent benefits package and options, nice parking area, time off is reasonable, flexible hours if you have a nice boss - but this is going to vary from department to department. It's a good job if you need job stability or are ready to wind down your career and slide into retirement without working too hard. We really only have a busy season over the course of about 4 months and the rest of the year is really cake (at least for now). You don't have to worry about working long crazy hours here. Regular working hours for the most part. Rarely you may have to stay later to finish a project - but it does not happen often.

Cons

Considering cost of living, my raise has amounted to a decrease in pay every year, a designer working in a corporation has zero credibility and rates a zero on the importance scale (at least when it comes to raises, upgrades etc), the work is BORING with a capital B... and every other letter, you will not create anything earth shattering, you will not get to go to conferences or classes to help you enhance your design skills ever - because Mercer does not understand or care about their designers. Ladder climbers - stay away - you are going nowhere here. There are no open positions or advancement opportunities for a designer here. You either have to find a new job or just become complacent and drone away at your keyboard for the rest of your life. Our senior management (ie: my boss' boss) has no idea what we do and couldn't care less. The have no interest in helping our department grow - and I am not sure they even would know where to start if they did. All they are interested in is that our revenue adds to their bottom line - and probably their bonus. Also - senior management changes every 6 months to 1 year. So it is really hard to get anywhere like that.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees. Care about their skills so they can care about their skills and improve - become more efficient and more creative. It is a mundane job and we create pretty consistently mind numbing materials. But we are creative people and need to feel our creativity is welcomed and encouraged. Help us improve with the technology as it improves.

2. Don't recommend working in call center

Former Contractor - Customer Service Representative
    Former Contractor - Customer Service Representative

I worked at Mercer as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Coffee, comfortable chairs, great benefits if they hire you permanently

Cons

Out of date systems, doesn't provide useful training, hires temps so they can let them go when they no longer need them, unprofessional management

Advice to Management

Be more professional, solve problems and don't run and hide from them, provide useful training