There are newer employer reviews for Mercer

A company that's starting to invest more in its people but work-life balance is rough

Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Mercer full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Mercer's a clear leader in its field and it has a great reputation and client roster. There are great people there at multiple levels.

Cons

The work-life balance there is rough and it faces what all consulting firms face -- a challenge of investing in its people when you are client-first.

Advice to Management

Invest in employee engagement

Other Employee Reviews for Mercer

1. Great people to work with

Current Employee - Senior Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Mercer full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great culture with really bright people. Had one of the best bosses ever!

Cons

There seems to be less emphasis on developing talent. The focus has been on expense management the last few years; it would be refreshing to start growing top line revenue which would allow the company to pay more and invest in developing its people.

Advice to Management

Take the time and money to invest in people

The Perfect Time to be part of Mercer's Benefits Administration organization

Current Employee - Principal in Norwood, MA
    Current Employee - Principal in Norwood, MA

I have been working at Mercer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been with Mercer’s Benefits Administration group for over 3 years having spent the prior 14 years with the largest private competitor in the Outsourcing industry. With our new US CEO and our laser focus on profitability, investments, and providing excellent service to our clients, we are finally on the right path to become the industry leader in providing benefits administration to major companies around the world. Mercer's focus on their core values under the leadership of Julio Portalatin continues to energize the entire firm. Julio’s messages are direct and motivational and exactly what you are looking for in a person in charge at the helm. If you want to work for a great company with a start-up type atmosphere that empowers their employees to make critical decisions, then Mercer is the place to be. I've been in the Outsourcing industry for over 20 years and I have never worked for a company where your decision counts nor have I met a group of employees so dedicated to their jobs and servicing their clients. This is the time to be at Mercer.

Cons

Do not run lean. We need good people to get our work done.

Advice to Management

Invest smartly. Keep up the communication. Julio, keep doing what you are doing as it does make an impact.