There are newer employer reviews for Mercer

Wrong place to start an actuarial career

Current Employee - Actuarial Analyst  in  Los Angeles, CA
Current Employee - Actuarial Analyst in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Mercer full-time

Pros

Actuarial study and compensation program is average

Cons

if you're an actuarial analyst, be prepared to be assigned to an overwhelming amount of clients where your skills are never used (Apparently, other Mercer locations actually have actuaries do actuarial work and their employees are happy).

Take a lesson from other Mercer locations and assign people to roles they were actually hired to do. Use common sense!

656 Other Employee Reviews for Mercer (View Most Recent)

This job is definitly not for everyone, a lot of information to be learned is required.

Current Employee - Participant Services Representative  in  Norwood, MA
    Current Employee - Participant Services Representative in Norwood, MA

I have been working at Mercer as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Starting pay is better than the majority of call centers.

Cons

Being on a temp to hire contract can be daunting because you never know when your last day will be.

Communication with their employees would be helpful. Let them know if they will retain or release you after your 6 month contract.

Taken for Granted

Current Employee - Participant Services Representative  in  Vernon Hills, IL
    Current Employee - Participant Services Representative in Vernon Hills, IL

I have been working at Mercer full-time for more than a year

Pros

As a call center worker at this company, what I can tell you is that this will become a golden star on your résumé. Depending on your attitude and your willingness to adapt, you can gain skills and character that become indispensable. You learn from supervisors that hold their own during heated calls. And you learn from that. Your colleagues--the ones that brave the same storm you brave--share in learning; they are right there with you and many are happy to help guide you. The callers will make your day if you are efficiently trained. IF you are trained.......:

Cons

......which leads to the cons. Training is really one of the companies broken wheels. They spend so much time on days and days worth of training toward client bases and LOBs that are never guaranteed. I'm lucky to be part of a fixed client base. But sitting next to other PSRs that take on 20+ clients and are forced to be trained on LOBs after only 2 days and to be on the phones after? What a nightmare. What a way to truly de-value an individual. After a year of being here I can tell you there's a lot of politics. And while I mentioned the management is inspiring when they are steering escalated calls, they are completely clumsy in training and reinforcing. There have been so many bright contractors I've seen with their potentials being tapped, but before they are fully realized higher-ups fuzz out that brightness with last minute LOB changes and unhelpful PowerPoint presentations. When a manager says that they are thankful for your work, caution: it really is code for "I've realized your capacity to be taken advantage of. And to tack onto your workload, I expect you to take on more clients with only 2 days training and stay in your stats while juggling redundant out-dated programs that crash all the time" Endurance of incompetence is a hidden gold star.

Support your lowly contractors and do not keep throwing them for a loop. Individually make time for them. This is coming from a full-timer that empathizes for their experience. They are already underpaid and devalued enough.

There are newer employer reviews for Mercer

Worked for Mercer? Contribute to the Community!