There are newer employer reviews for Merchant e-Solutions

Smart, upbeat & makes money - what more could you ask?

Current Employee - Program Manager in Redwood City, CA
Current Employee - Program Manager in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Merchant e-Solutions full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I like the happy attitude, cross-cultural, and gender-equitable environment here. People generally smile and laugh and get the job done well.
IT and engineering have regular, short time-blocked meetings to share progress or blocks. We all work together as a strong unit in a modern work space, using modern methods and upgrading the old into the new and scalable
This year, across the board, we're modernizing: systems, infrastructure, code base, and the website.
If you like the feel of a smart, modern, young company, but want the safety net of large parent company (instead of VC money), this is the place for you.

Cons

It's tough to change a static fire-fighting culture into an Agile, modern organization with trackable, regular releases. The past management used a non-scalable (often w/ hard-coded fixes), with a top-down, fire-fighting approach. However, in spite of some of the old-timers who didn't want to change their work habits, we're managing to steer a new course,. Those who can't change have been leaving, so soon it will be a 100% modern Agile company.

Maybe you could give the people who leave a package w/ a requirement not to defame MeS, at the cost of the release package? Sour grapes can sweeten up with dollar signs.

reviews filtered by

From creative to corporate

I have been working at Merchant e-Solutions full-time

Pros

I have a lot of freedom to set my goals and priorities.

Cons

Very little promoting from within. Very little chance of advancing. Salaries are stuck back in the 1990s.

Worst work environment, ever!

I worked at Merchant e-Solutions full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Many individuals are intelligent and great people to work with.

Cons

Where to start....
    1. The location sucks. No walking distance restaurants except Specialty's. You'll get sick of Specialty immediately. Being next to Oracle does not help with the traffic either.
    2. The set up of the office is freaking ridiculous. It feels like you are in a call center and a sales person. Open cubicles, technically not even cubicles. It is just a long flat table with monitors on it. Your coworker is literally 3-5 feet away from you. Stretch out your arms enough and you will literally be touching them. Talk about no privacy and horrible working condition. Everyone can hear each other's conversations and it is impossible to take a call at your desk without the sounds of people talking in the background.
    3. The mindset of the company after being bought out by a Brazilian company only made things worse. Everything is 'oh in Brazil, we did it like this" "in Brazilian, this is how it's done" "the Brazilians want it done this way". Well you know what, welcome to the U.S. NEWS FLASH: things are done differently here, we actually have laws and regulations for the work environment.
    4. HR is a complete joke. It is run by idiots who knows nothing about HR. HR is only good at lying and making up their own rules and laws. They probably don't even know what the word "compliance" means. Also, HR team really take terminations lightly. They will fire anyone that they do not like personally. BEWARE of HR, they are not your friends. When given a chance, they will start singing like a canary and throw you under the bus. Their sole purpose is to protect the company only and spend their day sucking up to the management team.

Learn how to manage. Your title is bogus and you do not deserve it. How can you lead a team or a company when you know nothing about properly building a business. No point in giving advice to the management team because the Brazilian way, is the only way. They will continue to run the company the way Brazil wants them to run it. Management team is the saddest thing that could have ever happened to this company. Good freaking luck!

There are newer employer reviews for Merchant e-Solutions