There are newer employer reviews for Merck

Good Experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Merck

Pros

good benefits and very well compensated

Cons

large company with a lot of red tape

hire better people at the lower management positions

1151 Other Employee Reviews for Merck (View Most Recent)

Great place to work but a lot of the jobs are going overseas

Current Employee - Senior Internal Auditor  in  Whitehouse Station, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Internal Auditor in Whitehouse Station, NJ

I have been working at Merck

Pros

It's a great place to work. Benefits are great. Time off from work (e.g. vacation/holidays) generous, great flexibility options to support work life balance. Strong teams, dedicated employees but you always have your few in there that you'd like to vote off the island. Long hours are usually due to a major project with a tight deadline, but other than that, you should find a nice balance. There are a lot more good, competent folks than not.

Cons

There is currently a huge range in salaries, so you can be working with co-workers who are paid significantly more for doing the same job. Lately in my department, manager level and above positions are going to external candidates outside the department including those outside the company, which limits growth of local talent.

This is not the case in my department, but I've seen a lot of outsourcing. A lot of departments are sourced with more than half of their staff from third parties. It leaves you wondering, why can't they find the talent locally. I guess it really is that outsourcing is significantly cheaper because I don't see better service or capabilities by going offshore. I've seen a lot of good people, talented, dedicated, and willing to go the extra mile, being laid off, as their job is shipped overseas. It's some really sad times right now.

Develop your local talent, if you find yourself constantly hiring from outside instead of promoting the internal staff, ask yourself, why that is the case and work with your local folks to get them to the point where you're promoting them. Trust me, we are trying to figure out what you want, but can't figure it out on our own, so we need your guidance to help shape the Merck you're after.

Great place to work for people who want to coast

Former Employee - Manager  in  Whitehouse Station, NJ
    Former Employee - Manager in Whitehouse Station, NJ

I worked at Merck

Pros

in most areas, flexible work arrangements negotiable
    pension when most companies don't
    good benefits - medical, dental, vision, life, legal, flex accounts, long term care
    if you get the right manager/department, training opportunities possible
    possible to have many careers with the same employer
    global company

Cons

hierarchical - consultants have a better hearing than employees
    slow moving - ponderous decision making and then the decisions get revisited
    shareholders are the most important stakeholders
    not finished layoffs
    new CEO
    entrenched executive team

If "courage and candor" continue to be linked you can be sure that neither will emerge. When the culture wants to hear from employees, you won't need a slogan.

There are newer employer reviews for Merck

Worked for Merck? Contribute to the Community!