There are newer employer reviews for Merck

Very unappreciated

Current Employee - Senior Maintenance Technician in Millsboro, DE
Current Employee - Senior Maintenance Technician in Millsboro, DE

I have been working at Merck

Pros

Benefits are ok, for the eastern shore pay is above average,I really wish I had more positive to say on behalf of the company

Cons

Very unappreciative site management, continual expectation to do more with less, people, equipment, even basic tools and supplies. Excessive work schedule due to severe under staff conditions. No chance for advancement no matter how hard you work or schooling you complete. School very difficult due to 55-65 hour work weeks.

Please quite treating your most important assets, your people, as liabilities. Give us an opportunity to really show you what we can do, then at least tell us when we have done well and give us the opportunity to advance and grow. Quite the do as I say not as I do attitude, and treat us like adults.

1173 Other Employee Reviews for Merck (View Most Recent)

Great to Poor Experience...

Former Employee - Executive Director in Broomfield, CO
    Former Employee - Executive Director in Broomfield, CO

I worked at Merck

Pros

Pay- compensation has been greater than other industries at comparable levels and lots of good, smart people working at Merck...trying to do the best they can

Cons

Unfortunately the Pharma industry is under significant pressure from Wall Street, Main Street, media, patent expiree, etc...so consolidation, reductions, reduced benefits will continue for foreseeable future...not a stable company or industry for long term career opportunities...the people that succeed are those who play the political game and manage up well...

Good old boy (and gal) club continues - same leadership they just move around who sits in those chairs - you would rather hire an average someone you know for the past 20 years than risk taking a chance on new people with different perspectives and mindsets...only seem to hire people that have similar backgrounds than they do...little or no formal executive development.

Overall working experience was great until the merger with Schering-Plough

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rahway, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rahway, NJ

I worked at Merck

Pros

Great work/life balance; flexibility and diversity. If you worked with a manager who valued developing employees, many opportunities to work on projects and get promoted existed.

Cons

Due to merger, very unstable work environment - many changes being made without careful assessment of impact and focused on short term goals.

There are newer employer reviews for Merck