Merck

www.merck.com
  www.merck.com
There are newer employer reviews for Merck

Great people who truly care about improving the health and lives of others.

Current Employee - Director in Rahway, NJ
Current Employee - Director in Rahway, NJ

I have been working at Merck

Pros

The people at Merck truly care about discovering and developing new medicines to address unmet medical needs. They also are people of high ethics and integrity. The media has treated Merck very harshly over the past 5 years and have not portrayed Merck as it really is. Another reason for working at Merck is the scientific and intellectual excellence of its people. They are bright, hard-working people who truly want to make a difference. They also genuinely care about one another.

Cons

The long research and development cycles at Merck (actually the entire pharmaceutical industry) mean that it can take a long time from discovery of a new product until it comes to market. Also the high attrition rate of potential new products also is frustrating. From an organizational perspective, Merck could improve its decision making processes which, despite recent efforts to improve it, is still time consuming and inefficient.

Be agressive on the PR front in telling the public how much good Merck and its products are doing for the world. Don't let others define our image for us. We have been far too passive in the past with regards to our image.

1194 Other Employee Reviews for Merck (View Most Recent)

Great place to start a career.

Current Employee - Biochemical Engineer
    Current Employee - Biochemical Engineer

I have been working at Merck

Pros

Merck provides great career development and opportunities for advancement. The company is large (with 7k+ emloyees) so this is a great place for young professionals to start their careers in the pharmaceutical field. Many opportunities to take work-related leadership classes as well as graduate work are available depending on department and pay grade. Employees are highly motivated and talented, making a great environment to be innovative and productive in a competitive industry.

Cons

Lack of communication among different groups can sometimes lead to operation inefficiencies. Working long hours at certain positions and responsibilities can be under appreciated at times by management and peers.

N/A

Merck still a good place to work

Former Employee - Director in West Point, PA
    Former Employee - Director in West Point, PA

I worked at Merck

Pros

science driven company. cares fro its employees and patients

Cons

not a strong management in place

Limit teh amount of politics and et the good scientist do the job they were hired for, i.e. good research.

There are newer employer reviews for Merck