Merck

www.merck.com
  www.merck.com
There are newer employer reviews for Merck

Great people who truly care about improving the health and lives of others.

Current Employee - Director in Rahway, NJ
Current Employee - Director in Rahway, NJ

I have been working at Merck

Pros

The people at Merck truly care about discovering and developing new medicines to address unmet medical needs. They also are people of high ethics and integrity. The media has treated Merck very harshly over the past 5 years and have not portrayed Merck as it really is. Another reason for working at Merck is the scientific and intellectual excellence of its people. They are bright, hard-working people who truly want to make a difference. They also genuinely care about one another.

Cons

The long research and development cycles at Merck (actually the entire pharmaceutical industry) mean that it can take a long time from discovery of a new product until it comes to market. Also the high attrition rate of potential new products also is frustrating. From an organizational perspective, Merck could improve its decision making processes which, despite recent efforts to improve it, is still time consuming and inefficient.

Be agressive on the PR front in telling the public how much good Merck and its products are doing for the world. Don't let others define our image for us. We have been far too passive in the past with regards to our image.

1213 Other Employee Reviews for Merck (View Most Recent)

Merck still a good place to work

Former Employee - Director in West Point, PA
    Former Employee - Director in West Point, PA

I worked at Merck

Pros

science driven company. cares fro its employees and patients

Cons

not a strong management in place

Limit teh amount of politics and et the good scientist do the job they were hired for, i.e. good research.

Employees and patients care about the company's mission to improve human health, not shareholders.

Current Employee - Medical Writer in Rahway, NJ
    Current Employee - Medical Writer in Rahway, NJ

I have been working at Merck

Pros

The company offers good benefits and my particular job is flexible with regard to working hours and time off. My direct management displays great effort in treating its employees fairly and to ensure job satisfaction. This sentiment is not universal, but it is something that exists more that what I see in many other companies.

Cons

In the last several years the reputation of the pharmaceutical industry and Merck in particular have taken a hit. It is to the point that I am usually secretive about what I do and where I work when I am asked. However, the larger issues are related to the several large-scale failures the company has endured during this decade. These have resulted in continuous threats to job security and a seemingly never-ending period of lay-offs and restructuring. No job at any level is safe at any time. While this is true for most jobs in all industry during a time of economic trouble, it is disappointing to see this continue in good and bad economic times in what is usually regarded as a "recession-proof industry."

The company needs to be more committed to patient and employee happiness versus the interests in a fickle shareholder community that has no interest in improved human health or scientific excellence. Although investors are important, they are almost never interested in the company's mission, so our only job should be to serve human health, not to prop up a stock price. If we do our job, shareholders will hold our stock. We must accept that the stock price will vary greatly, especially in an environment where rumor-fueled shorting and cheap political tricks can reward a few with quick money and power at the expense of a company like this.

There are newer employer reviews for Merck