Merck

There are newer employer reviews for Merck

A good company

Former Employee - Research Associate in Palo Alto, CA
Former Employee - Research Associate in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Merck full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good people with a focus on the science, and a can do attitude that get projects from "well can this work?" to a final answer. Also, business decisions made by management are implemented quickly, and efficiently with a view towards practicality and reasonableness. Also, the management team explains the purpose of their decisions and what the expected outcome for the company is intended. Top-to-down communication from management team is, in my experience, unparalleled and I know what was going on in other parts of the company on a day to day basis.

Cons

The demand for data is so driving that many of our project due dates seemed to be due the day before we received the project of which always put a great deal of pressure to produce hard data fast which can and did lead to mistakes which caused delays.
Also, though upper management was very good at information distribution, local management wasn't as forthcoming and so often times we knew what was going on in the greater company more than we did in our own site.
The last is that unless you have a Ph.D. career advancement opportunities at this company are minimal.

Communication is fantastic from upper management, but local management needs to improve their communication distribution to the same level

1254 Other Employee Reviews for Merck (View Most Recent)

Use to be great

Current Employee - Manager in West Point, PA
    Current Employee - Manager in West Point, PA

I have been working at Merck full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Strong sense of community (feels like family),
    Strong business ethics,
    Great day care on premises,
    Management can be good mentors and offer good advice,
    Employees are very smart and kind.

Cons

Opportunity/ Promotion is non-existant (I've personally been rated at the top of my level for 5 years straight, with constant promises for promotion but no action- there's always an excuse).
    Yearly salary increases have become a joke. Average in 2011 was 1.8%.
    Often given a lot of responsibility and expected to over deliver, but not empowered to make the decisions/ changes necessary.
    Little management support.
    With the current environment (layoffs, numerous reorgs, understaffed area, etc), people have become distrusting, frustrated, and difficult to work with. Many have lost their passion for their job.
    Benefits declining over recent years.
    Technology is way behind industry norm.
    Over worked in multiple areas, no resources, starting to see a lot of negative impact to the business and processes. Concerned for future.

I know there is focus on down sizing to keep the company stable, but there needs to be swift and immediate attention to retaining talent and motivating employees. These are critical pieces to the future success of the company!

I bought a lemon

Current Employee - Support Associate in West Point, PA
    Current Employee - Support Associate in West Point, PA

I have been working at Merck full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

My current pay and benefits are the only positives I can think of.

Cons

I have been here for 15 years, having left a Supervisory position to work for the "great" Merck. I was told in my interview that they would pay my tuition and with my management experience, I would have a great career at Merck. Here I am 15 years later, still at the bottom, with no degree ( Merck would not pay my tuition, that was a lie) and no chance for advancement. All this after having been the top producer in my department for 10 years. I cannot even get an excel class.

recognize and appreciate the talent you have

There are newer employer reviews for Merck