There are newer employer reviews for Merck

A good company

Former Employee - Research Associate  in  Palo Alto, CA
Former Employee - Research Associate in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Merck full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good people with a focus on the science, and a can do attitude that get projects from "well can this work?" to a final answer. Also, business decisions made by management are implemented quickly, and efficiently with a view towards practicality and reasonableness. Also, the management team explains the purpose of their decisions and what the expected outcome for the company is intended. Top-to-down communication from management team is, in my experience, unparalleled and I know what was going on in other parts of the company on a day to day basis.

Cons

The demand for data is so driving that many of our project due dates seemed to be due the day before we received the project of which always put a great deal of pressure to produce hard data fast which can and did lead to mistakes which caused delays.
Also, though upper management was very good at information distribution, local management wasn't as forthcoming and so often times we knew what was going on in the greater company more than we did in our own site.
The last is that unless you have a Ph.D. career advancement opportunities at this company are minimal.

Communication is fantastic from upper management, but local management needs to improve their communication distribution to the same level

1151 Other Employee Reviews for Merck (View Most Recent)

A Fantastic Job

Current Employee - Pharmaceutical Sales Representative  in  Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Pharmaceutical Sales Representative in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Merck

Pros

Great Culture, empowering and growth focused.
    Promotes from within, excellent coaching
    Stable, excellent product pipeline
    Company Car, expense account and exotic trips for high performers

Cons

The changes in the reimbursment arena will make for some lean times at Schering Plough.
    Also, with a potential Merger, there will most likely be some sales force displacement

Work to communicate to the sales force. Contine to explore stratigic options and develop the product pipelie for the future. Keep expection high and maintain the excellent salary structure

I bought a lemon

Current Employee - Support Associate  in  West Point, PA
    Current Employee - Support Associate in West Point, PA

I have been working at Merck full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

My current pay and benefits are the only positives I can think of.

Cons

I have been here for 15 years, having left a Supervisory position to work for the "great" Merck. I was told in my interview that they would pay my tuition and with my management experience, I would have a great career at Merck. Here I am 15 years later, still at the bottom, with no degree ( Merck would not pay my tuition, that was a lie) and no chance for advancement. All this after having been the top producer in my department for 10 years. I cannot even get an excel class.

recognize and appreciate the talent you have

There are newer employer reviews for Merck

Worked for Merck? Contribute to the Community!