Merck

www.merck.com

Generally good place to work, but continuously downsizing since 2003 - forget about work-life balance.

Manager (Current Employee) San Juan, PR

Pros- Good place to get solid experience in manufacturing environment, great place for recent grads to work.
- Highly ethical in practices and policies. Driving to consistency across the board in policies and procedures
- Promote employee speaking up (courage and candor)
- Compensation, though reduced, is within market ranges

Cons- Very elitist and level conscious leaders. Recent compensation restructuring was oriented toward keeping executives and high level officials well-paid, all other professionals were stuffed in general buckets, reducing salary ranges, performance bonuses and long term incentives (non existent below management level).
- Continuous downsizing since about 2003, each year depts must provide headcount reductions with significant increases in workload (no workload analysis allowed). The workload has become ridiculous - absolutely no work-life balance.

Advice to Senior Management- Comprehensive workload analysis must be conducted prior to setting unrealistic headcount reduction targets. Quality has suffered and will continue suffering because of this.
- Talent retention is non-existent - general perception is that management and senior executives believe employees should just feel lucky to have a job.
- Get over yourselves - you're employees (though much better paid) like everyone else.

Great Company!

Intern (Current Employee) West Point, PA

I have been working at Merck as an intern for less than a year

Pros: All in all, it's a great company with great pay and benefits. The pay is competative as… Cons: Not really. Haven't found any yet. The only thing may be that the… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Merck Research Laboratories is a great place to work with flex hours and strong sense of community.

Medicinal Chemist (Former Employee) Rahway, NJ

I worked at Merck full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: The facilities are top notch. There is an onsite gym with complimentary gym clothes wash and dry. There are flexible work hours to… Cons: At the time, there were only 2 weeks of vacation, but I believe that has changed to make it… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Merck.

Worked for Merck? Contribute to the Community!