Merck

www.merck.com
  www.merck.com
There are newer employer reviews for Merck

Great time- but future unknown

Current Employee - Supervisor in Miami, FL
Current Employee - Supervisor in Miami, FL

I have been working at Merck

Pros

1) Schering-Plough is a high paying employer within the Pharma industry. The bonus structure is one of the best and they are very generous with the annual pool allocated.
2) Schering-Plough is very structured and the HR policies are detailed. They try to develop employees in several ways.
3) Schering offers the freedom to venture in areas outside your comfort zone, even if that is a development opportunity- in important projects. Usually in a big corporation the size of Schering, employees tend to be in silos.

Cons

The motivation level at present is at rock bottom after the Merck aquistion.A large part of this has to do with the uncertainity. Several employees (including myself) have worked very hard for the past 6 years, only for the EMT to leave at the end of the year.

What is the point in selling the company (although it makes sense $$$ wise) after preaching leader behaviors and other ideals for 6 years?

1213 Other Employee Reviews for Merck (View Most Recent)

schering plough sytem

Former Employee - Lead Systems Analyst in Kenilworth, NJ
    Former Employee - Lead Systems Analyst in Kenilworth, NJ

I worked at Merck

Pros

Working at Schering Plough was very good experience for me , schering plough is always keen to implement new software and systems . This is a very good advantage that i got.

Cons

In Schering plough some times management empoloyee comunications were missing.

Management has to implement good projects

I like working at Schering-Plough...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Summit, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Summit, NJ

I have been working at Merck

Pros

Its a great company the people are friendly and helpful. We have very good benefits and vacation time when you start at the company you are given 3 weeks vacation time and 2 personal days. Some departments allow their employees to work from home. There are several different sites so you may be able to work in a location close to home. Schering-Plough's campuses are very nice and they have cafe's on site and even a gym at one of their locations. We do have a PMP system so you know how your manager rates you, but often the feedback is minimal unless you are not doing your job.

Cons

Promotions - its a long difficult process to get a promotion even with excellent PMP ratings. It seems to be promised a lot but does not actually happen.
    Lack of recognition - we have Shinning Performance program, but it is extremely under used in some departments. I feel that when people go above and beyond that they should be given credit.
    Salaries aren't great and its difficult to get raises - if you come into the company at a low salary it is hard to get "bumped-up". I've heard that 10% is the cap, but I am not sure if that is true.

listen to your employees
    recongize when something is done well and they go above and beyond
    use the shinning performance to reward colleagues
    don't continue to support colleagues who can't / won't do their jobs

There are newer employer reviews for Merck