Merck Legacy

Former Employee - Senior Scientist in West Point, PA
Former Employee - Senior Scientist in West Point, PA

I worked at Merck full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a large scale pharmaceutical company that can provide may career paths. As an employee you will have the opportunity to engage and explore different areas of the business.

Cons

Like most large companies there are areas of the company that are not as progressive/functional as others. I was a full-time employee with Merck for 4 years and in this time I experienced career progress which took me across divisions (MRL to MMD) and gave me the opportunity to interact with many functional areas. During my time at Merck I witnessed the degradation of Company values and a shift if focusing on the best products for patients to efficiency and a it is "good enough" mindset.

Advice to Management

I would encourage the leadership of the company to engage the workforce (employee level) more to get a true sense of how the organization is functioning. In my experience, there are elements of middle management that are unwilling to make a strong stance in the name of quality and are more focused on checking boxes. The culture of the organization has taken a rapid decline and I have witnessed these affects to the day-to-day business and carrying out of tasks. After much effort to counter such environmental changes I respectfully resigned from the organization.

Other Employee Reviews for Merck

Field Based Manager

Former Employee - Corporate Accounts Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Corporate Accounts Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Merck full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, moderate security, well established company without excess administrative documentation. There are many very experienced people with long term tenure, so people can learn from colleagues. Merck has the structure and background to maximize its business.

Cons

Silo thinking, lack of communication and managers with less experience and knowledge making the wrong decisions. Communication dropped when the FDA fined the company for some field based activities. This drop in communication resulted in valuable knowledge not being transferred from the field to headquarters. This was frustrating for the field and lots of people are reevaluating their career options.

Advice to Management

Listen to the large field force total body of knowledge. Train the field to communicate in a proper way to satisfy legal requirements, but create lines of communication so that the field can learn business rationale and sales/marketing and medical affairs can learn from the field people. Some management in marketing were inexperienced and making poor decisions. This effects the field directly.

2. Principal Scientist

Former Employee - Principal Scientist in Rahway, NJ
    Former Employee - Principal Scientist in Rahway, NJ

I worked at Merck full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility Good Work Life Balance and Services

Cons

few opportunities to advance Salaries are not competitive

Advice to Management

Stay engaged