Merck Legacy

Former Employee - Senior Scientist  in  West Point, PA
Former Employee - Senior Scientist in West Point, PA

I worked at Merck full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This is a large scale pharmaceutical company that can provide may career paths. As an employee you will have the opportunity to engage and explore different areas of the business.

Cons

Like most large companies there are areas of the company that are not as progressive/functional as others. I was a full-time employee with Merck for 4 years and in this time I experienced career progress which took me across divisions (MRL to MMD) and gave me the opportunity to interact with many functional areas. During my time at Merck I witnessed the degradation of Company values and a shift if focusing on the best products for patients to efficiency and a it is "good enough" mindset.

I would encourage the leadership of the company to engage the workforce (employee level) more to get a true sense of how the organization is functioning. In my experience, there are elements of middle management that are unwilling to make a strong stance in the name of quality and are more focused on checking boxes. The culture of the organization has taken a rapid decline and I have witnessed these affects to the day-to-day business and carrying out of tasks. After much effort to counter such environmental changes I respectfully resigned from the organization.

Other Reviews for Merck

Good company, but troubled future

Former Employee - Director  in  West Point, PA
    Former Employee - Director in West Point, PA

I worked at Merck full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good scientists, good pay, good benefits,

Cons

challenging management changes, difficulties in the clinic have made morale low, several re-organizations in the past years have resulted in decreased productivity.

I hope that they select a model and stick with it for a while. I hope that they encourage taking risks and not ask people to follow in line without discussion.

Principal Scientist

Former Employee - Principal Scientist  in  Rahway, NJ
    Former Employee - Principal Scientist in Rahway, NJ

I worked at Merck full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexibility

Good Work Life Balance and Services

Cons

few opportunities to advance
    Salaries are not competitive

Stay engaged

There are newer employer reviews for Merck.

Worked for Merck? Contribute to the Community!