Tough

Current Employee - Reliability Engineer in Lansdale, PA
Current Employee - Reliability Engineer in Lansdale, PA

I have been working at Merck full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is fair for the job. Consolidation is changing that though. Area located is enjoyable, close to main accessways. Good starting block for a career.

Cons

Enviornment is on the decline. Consolidation and leaning of $$ and people making workplace consistantly stressful. Production efficiency is starting to decline as a result, as well as ability to retain work experience.

Advice to Management

Learn to interact with the reality of the business.

Other Employee Reviews for Merck

Used to be Fortune Magazines #1 Best Company To Work For for 7 years

Former Employee - Vaccine Customer Representative
    Former Employee - Vaccine Customer Representative

I worked at Merck full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Usually first in class with new therapeutic categories, high ethics. Pride in working for this company. Good Benefits and pay.

Cons

Seemingly endless work flow. Negative work environment. People were out for themselves in trying to save their jobs. Those left behind were over worked and depressed.

Advice to Management

While there were aggressive objectives to reach, motivating people by negativity and threat of loss of job does not achieve desired results.

Amazing place to work... 10 years ago.

Pros

Pension is great (but it's changing in the next 5-10 years), but won't be the "golden handcuffs" it once was.

Cons

No loyalty. What have you done for me lately? Layoff after layoff. Ask our current CEO how many people he's laid off in the last several years. They want you to cut, cut, cut expenses.

Advice to Management

Get back to your roots Merck. You once were great to your employees, but that time has come and gone. Medicine may be for the people, but the profits should be shared with the people that worked hard to manufacture and sell those products too. The buddy buddy relationship with the Obama administration and the corporate offices in the USA is dated and silly. Move our corporate offices to Ireland and pass all the corporate income tax we pay onto your employees and shareholders. We have been kissing this administrations rear end like no other... For what? Every time we turn around it's another delay by the FDA. We paid/served our time for Vioxx. Enough is enough. Time for Mr. Frazier to grow some balls and stop acting like an attorney afraid to make a move and start acting like a CEO.