OK Job

Current Employee - Executive Director, Clinical Research in Rahway, NJ
Current Employee - Executive Director, Clinical Research in Rahway, NJ

I have been working at Merck full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Scientifically driven company Mostly does what's scientifically correct Not overdriven by profits

Cons

Company really does not care much for it's employees Company always trying to do least possible for employees Average salaries but expects exceptional performance

Advice to Management

Check out other companies who treat employees exceptionally well and get exceptional performance.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Pharmaceutical and Vaccine sales

Former Employee - Executive Representative
    Former Employee - Executive Representative

I worked at Merck full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great training and benefits, very little room for personal growth or moving up the ladder.

Cons

Tracking of every movement, management can be threatening and on your back.

Too Many Good People Quit or are Walked Out.

Former Employee - Manufacturing Supervisor/Facilitator in West Point, PA
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Supervisor/Facilitator in West Point, PA

I worked at Merck full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Enjoyed the feeling that I was part of such an important process (Pediatric Vaccines Production).

Cons

Back-stabbing constant, too much focus on LGBT safety (we are professionals, your personal sexual preference has no place being discussed at work) with "safe zones" marked by green triangle with pink circle stickers... Diversity is a wonderful thing, now let's get over making such a big deal of it and do our job. Locked in Supervisor position with no advancement for multiple years, all while being a highly rated, dependable and competent Supervisor. trained "new" Supervisors that were given higher salary and better title, all while I was given a low performance rating (and new hires you are training are rated at the top tier of the same scale I was rated against)... In 6 years, went through three Area Heads, (this in itself kept most in our department from getting promoted), while competing and stable positioned Area Head lead departments within our same building had promoted most of their staff over the same period. Third Area Head was my undoing... He hired replacement supervisors on all shifts that we (supervisors that were stuck in this department during a job freeze over three years) spent time training, while being told by one of them (a bratty silver spoon kid fresh out of college with an attitude) that the new Area Heads' goal is to have only one supervisor per shift (In a department that filled over a billion dollars of marketable product per year)... My comment with this severe overworked and understaffed ethic was that I just hope I am not the "lucky one" left. Saw many good Supervisors quit or were let go after being overworked to the point of making a crucial mistake... In which as a Supervisor, there is no mercy from above. On the contrary, if you are a union employee, there is a culture of forgiveness, even after multiple gross acts of negligence.

Advice to Management

The best thing you can do for an under appreciated supervisor in production is to actively engage them and offer them growth through allowing them to transfer to other areas when they feel they need a change (within their expertise) so they can be more effective as a cross-functional leader (and the new group of union employees you are responsible for will give you a better chance of being an effective and growing leader). All that being said, I left (quit) under extreme pressure and duress during a very stress induced time (after being told by new Area Head that I am not allowed to internally apply for open jobs that were open to others within and anybody "off the street" (to get out of department without having to ultimately quit). It is too late for me, but there are still good people there that are needlessly under appreciated and overworked while not having the support of their Area Heads, Managers, and Directors. I enjoyed what I physically contributed, and worked with many good union and non-union people, but did not appreciate the cut-throat culture of making people (us) do anything they can (at the expense of others) to look good. Inclusiveness was the big word of the day, but it couldn't be more exclusive (when I finally quit).