There are newer employer reviews for Merck

Current Employee - Staff Biologist in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Staff Biologist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Merck

Pros

Competitive compensation, good benefits, great work/life balance. A lot depends on your manager. I am lucky to have a great manager, and within our group we have lot more opportunities to learn new skills and take on challenging projects.

Cons

Provide more opportunity for career advancement/development. The current structure does not provide for much career growth opportunity.

Satisfaction can be increased and turnover reduced by developing the professional competencies of the employee. Have a mentorship program that would help employees plan out a future that matches their career goals.

1166 Other Employee Reviews for Merck (View Most Recent)

Merck review from an IT manager

Current Employee - Manager in Summit, NJ
    Current Employee - Manager in Summit, NJ

I have been working at Merck

Pros

after acquiring scheirng plough it is the second largest pharma company now and so that has been sold as an exciting reason to expect growth within the company

Cons

cant get recognized in IT delivery services side of the company. promotions are rare and do not seem encouraged. it is a thankless job.

If you say something, back it up with you actions. do what you say you are going to do. recognize merit and success with compensation or a promotion. particularly in IT, upper management must recognize those who are capable and effective vs those who are the source of complication and always have issues doing a quality job. finally, hope and talk of growth potential gets old.

Great place to learn and develop, need to rethink employee experience and be serious about long term work life balance

Current Employee - Manager Marketing in Whitehouse Station, NJ
    Current Employee - Manager Marketing in Whitehouse Station, NJ

I have been working at Merck

Pros

Great place to kick off any career

Cons

Large corporation with little focus on the individual

As the economy tunes the corner, rethink talent management or Merck might risk significant loss of key skills

There are newer employer reviews for Merck