Merck
3.2 of 5 1,051 reviews
www.merck.com Whitehouse Station, NJ 5000+ Employees

Mismatch between public face and private culture

Executive (Former Employee)
London, England (UK)

ProsBroad-based pharmaceutical company with opportunities in multiple professional and geographic areas. The range of the company - including human and animal health, prescription and OTC pharma, research as well as sales - provides good scope for lateral moves. The company is well represented in most countries, however expatriate assignments are not fostered.

ConsVery significant disconnect between values espoused in public and the business culture actually in place. The company and Fred Hassan present a very attractive philosophy and vision, however in reality the company is very aggressive commercially with a lot of cynical attitudes among staff who must act in ways that are not reflected in the espoused culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow through with the espoused values.

Constant fear of layoffs

Research Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Merck full-time for more than 8 years

Pros: Good Pay, upper management does not listen to employees and… Cons: Bad managers, layoff threats, constant changes in direction with no… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

My experience was great!

Senior Scientist (Former Employee)
    West Point, PA

I worked at Merck full-time for more than 8 years

Pros: The company values, compensations and office culture were great. Merck… Cons: Improvements would be fair employee promotions. It appeared that if… Advice to Senior Management: Start holding executive level employees more accountable for not reaching company's goals instead of placing… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Merck.

Worked for Merck? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Merck reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Merck CEO Kenneth C. Frazier. All reviews posted anonymously by Merck employees.