Mercury Marine

www.mercurymarine.com
  www.mercurymarine.com
There are newer employer reviews for Mercury Marine

Lots of opportunity for personal growth

I have been working at Mercury Marine

Pros

Flexible work environment. Understand personal needs. Training opportunities are good. Mercury Marine sees the benefits of innovation and staying ahead of the competition.

Cons

Some management can be too hands on. Some employees aren't as accountable as they should be. Lots of projects going on at the same time can be hard to keep a handle on it all.

Very good strategic direction. Keep the interest in the employees. Communication efforts are going well. Management through the downturn has been excellent.

22 Other Employee Reviews for Mercury Marine (View Most Recent)

Was nice at first,but now not a good place to work

I have been working at Mercury Marine

Pros

At one time good wage and benefits,but in recent years things have become to rigid and fewer opportunities exist for inventive people.

Cons

Any dissent is dealt with harshly,directors and managers all seem to be only concerned with improving their position,to often common sense and good judgement are overlooked in favor of lame ideas and practices.

There is an immediate need to repair damage done during recent reshuffling of plant floor personnel and direction.Locally the available labor pool has dried up of any truly promising individuals.Not easy to retain people on paltry wage and no future benefits,company no longer innovator it wants world to believe it is.

Great working atmosphere with growth opportunities

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fond du Lac, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fond du Lac, WI

I worked at Mercury Marine full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

*Most people I interacted with were professional, had good character and were down to earth throughout all levels in the company, all the way up to the President. It did not feel at all like a rat race where people wanted to backstab each other to get ahead.
    *Lots of team players.
    *Company made a lot of good decisions to weather the recession and this has forced people to work smarter and be more vigilant.
    *The company recognizes achievements. Meritocracy is strong.
    *Good work-life balance. Managers value their personal time and bestow that value onto their teams.
    *I felt like I was in control of my own destiny for my career path; lots of travel opportunities in the US and overseas. I got my dream assignment within 5 years.
    *Benefits were more than adequate; salary was competitive.

Cons

*However, it's important to note that you have to make things happen to take advantage of career opportunities. There is not a lot of sheperding, mentoring or hand-holding for your career path.
    *The marine industry is a volatile one; meaning that raises and bonuses can be intermittent.
    *Large company where everyone excels as a specialist, which lends itself to departments sometimes competing with one another. You need a stomach for politics once you graduate from entry-level positions.
    *Because it's a public company, occasionally there's more bias towards short-term results than I liked. Sometimes travel and training, aspects good for long-term growth, would be compromised to please Wall Street. This has improved somewhat in the last couple of years.
    *Limited social opportunities in Fond du Lac for non-locals. Great place for families, but not so great for singles.

Keep up the good work and invest into more rotational programs globally.

There are newer employer reviews for Mercury Marine