Mercury Marine
www.mercurymarine.com Fond Du Lac, WI 1000 to 5000 Employees

Be Wary of Mercury Management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Stillwater, OK

I worked at Mercury Marine

ProsInteresting products, good people.
They have (had?) a company-wide process improvement program in place. If you could demonstrate that an idea could provide real savings for the company, then you had a genuine chance at procuring resources for the idea and, with success, a genuine chance at promotion.

ConsStillwater plant has now been closed.
Benefits and compensation are not very competitive.
High turnover rate in senior management.
Information was typically articulated most clearly through the rumor mill.

Sorry to descend to the level of the anecdote, but without them I'm afraid my criticisms might simply ring hollow:

I worked at Mercury during the period leading up to the 2008 recession, when gas prices had doubled in under six months to nearly $5/g in Stillwater, and when the imminent collapse of the real estate market was obvious. The market for luxury goods, like those produced by Mercury at Stillwater, was already nearly nonexistent. The only plan articulated by management was an expectation that things would eventually get better. They literally had no plan for dealing with lean times in a market that they understood to be highly cyclical.

One morning we were called to a meeting in which it was explained that the company was looking at ways to cut costs, with no mention of specifics. On returning to our desks, we found an email stating that the company had canceled its contract with its coffee supplier. While I respect that some money was saved, the experience was absurd, and typical of management's habit of presenting an optimistic rather than straightforward version of reality. More importantly, management took no personal pay cuts that I'm aware of, and made no effort to communicate how more substantial cost saving measures were to be effected.

Until one morning when I arrived to find that my entire group had been called into our manager's office. Frightened for our livelihoods, we anxiously listened as the senior mid-manager explained that layoffs/forced retirements were planned for another group. It was sort of the reverse of having the rug pulled out from under you, but with the same emotional effect.

To borrow a coworker's phrase, senior mid-management seemed to develop a "hard on" for this tactic after I left. Given the way the Stillwater plant was closed (Mercury _publicly announced_ that they would close their Fon du Lac plant, then rescinded and closed the Stillwater plant) I now believe that they were just following the example of senior and corporate management.

The saddest part of this review is that, in all honesty, I can only label Mercury as a typical company at worst.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake a long-term, company-wide plan (including feasible solutions for risk management) that will survive management turnover. Include some goals. Follow it, and share it with your employees.

great technology driven company but volatile industry

Design Engineer (Former Employee)
Fond du Lac, WI

I worked at Mercury Marine

Pros: a good company to work for in a nice town. Cons: boat engine making is avolatile industry. Chances of job losses are higher especially during economic downtuns. The… Advice to Senior Management: great place to work. can do with more transparency Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Great place, pay could be better

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Cranbury, NJ

I worked at Mercury Marine

Pros: Great place to work, people are excellent. Good working evironment. had an enjoyable time in my years there, and was actually a pleasure… Cons: the compensation at Mercury Marine could be a little better. It's not terrible, but left because of a much better offer. … Advice to Senior Management: you should pay more. if you want to maintain the top people, it is going to… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Mercury Marine.

Worked for Mercury Marine? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Mercury Marine reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Mercury Marine CEO Mark D. Schwabero. All reviews posted anonymously by Mercury Marine employees.