Mercy College

www.mercy.edu
There are newer employer reviews for Mercy College

Very Difficult

I worked at Mercy College

Pros

i enjoyed working for my boss

Cons

total sink or swim environment

25 Other Employee Reviews for Mercy College (View Most Recent)

Growth and Innovation Encouraged

Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Dobbs Ferry, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Dobbs Ferry, NY

I have been working at Mercy College full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

School of Education growing and moving forward at a rapid pace. Collaborative faculty. Supportive Dean. Do you want to publish? Fulbright? Create a program? Research or write a grant?
    The view at Dobbs Ferry on the Hudson is gorgeous.
    Campus is growing: currently building new student housing.

Cons

Not too much to say that would be out of the ordinary. Some students are under prepared for the expectations of the work. There are always difficulties that come from working on a campus setting but the new president seems to be taking on issues head-on and moving the college forward.

Consider more streamlined policies and procedures. Bring advisement back to the faculty. Bring back multiple FD grants for each year.

A lot of work, a little money, and difficult students

Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Dobbs Ferry, NY
    Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Dobbs Ferry, NY

I have been working at Mercy College as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Pretty campus (except for new construction), cute town, easy transportation, technology in classrooms.

Cons

Majority of students I've "taught"-- or rather, tried to teach-- are unteachable: shockingly rude, disrespectful, lazy, with an attitude of entitlement, as if paying tuition automatically guarantees good grades, the right to verbally abuse a teacher, do no homework, and make no deadlines!. Many have serious discipline problems, most have literacy rates ranging from 4th grade to high school sophomore. I wanted to quit, but had signed a contract. I feel sorry for the few students in each class who want to learn and do the work. I'd NEVER work here again.

Don't accept students who are just semi-literate. Give them an orientation in classroom behavior, and establish enforceable penalties for those who continually berate professors. Give instructors, not just students, a procedure to file grievances. Double the pay for adjuncts!

There are newer employer reviews for Mercy College