solid place to work

Current Employee - Senior Editor
Current Employee - Senior Editor

Pros

Meredith Corp is generally an open, family-friendly work atmosphere (although that would vary magazine to magazine). They care most about the finished product, not any kind of fancy image like some other publishers.

Cons

Some of the magazine management transition was rough and rocky but that's to be expected.

Advice to Management

Better communication between the home office in Des Moines and mid-level employees in NYC would be helpful.

Other Employee Reviews for Meredith Corporation

1. This is a top-notch publishing company to work for - no complaints.

Current Employee - Assistant Art Director in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Assistant Art Director in Des Moines, IA

Pros

Excellent benefits. You get to work with some of the best people in the publishing industry. Editorial and art staff gain valuable experience at Meredith.

Cons

You need to be someone who can deal with constant change within the company. The person I report to is very good about keeping me up to speed on upcoming changes so I'm ready to adapt.

Advice to Management

LIfe/work balance is difficult to manage. Any training or help in this area would be beneficial.

Push for performance evaluation before price-driven layoffs

Current Employee - Anonymous - Publishing in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous - Publishing in Des Moines, IA

Pros

The people, the product and the place. Meredith's staff are friendly, caring and certainly Midwestern. There is no "Devil Wears Prada" attitude here. The magazines are great - as are the creative minds behind them - but there is a lack of attention to blossoming market demographics and new media platforms. Benefits are also great (but only if you can keep your job!).

Cons

There is an overall lack of opportunity for personal advancement. Though I feel appreciated and constantly receive positive feedback, I don't see any job security at this company. I suppose this is a publishing trend in general... but it's not exactly reassuring when the best and brightest are getting laid off and the solitaire-playing cube rats get to stay. I'm young, inexpensive and competent. I hope the senior editors realize that before I take off for another company.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your talent. You have a lot at Meredith. I've heard that layoffs are based on price and not performance - this is NOT an effective way to run a business. If you want quality publications, keep quality staff. Though it's a joy and bragging right to work for Meredith, company morale is sinking. Quick.