Meredith Corporation

Nice place to be

Former Employee - Editor in Des Moines, IA
Former Employee - Editor in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Meredith Corporation

Pros

This is a great group of people: knowledgeable and willing to share their knowledge. Low-attitude. Especially in the Des Moines office, there is a strong sense of work-life balance and support of individuals. People seem to really care about one another. There is also an incredibly strong belief in the importance of a good product. They will send a project back to the drawing board before they will put out a bad product.

Cons

Senior management is reactive in a not great way. As the economy declines, Meredith is closing down businesses rather than assess why they aren't doing better. They lose talented staff this way.

They should talk seriously to the people doing the work about what is working, not just blow smoke.

122 Other Employee Reviews for Meredith Corporation (View Most Recent)

The pros definitely out weigh the cons at Meredith.

Current Employee - Sales Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Meredith Corporation

Pros

Reputable company with good mission and products.

Cons

Management doesnt always look out for client's best interest. It is too hard to fire bad people.

do something to create better morale and create loyalty. people seem quick to jump ship. also, while my dept is great, i have heard bad things about other departments.

It'll be perfect... once we figure out how to get the magazines to understand that the web isn't a magazine.

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Meredith Corporation

Pros

The tech department is great fun to work in. The team is a comprised of good mixture of people, the projects are high profile and interesting, there is plenty of room to grow and learn, and there are certainly a lot of challenges to keep you on your toes.

Cons

Because most of the senior editors and site directors came from a magazine background (being a publishing company and all) there are quite a few misconceptions about technology and what works (and doesn't) on the websites. This can lead to frustrations, but it also can be an opportunity to teach others how to better use the web as a distribution medium for content. We're still growing the online presence, and as such there are some hurdles to overcome.

IT management is pretty consistently good, but they often seem to lose out to the more senior print people who aren't quite as web savvy. If upper management trusts IT to earn an increasingly large piece of the advertising revenue, then you should also start trusting us to know the best way to do our jobs.

There are newer employer reviews for Meredith Corporation