Compassionate animal lovers

Former Employee - Procurement in Duluth, GA
Former Employee - Procurement in Duluth, GA

I worked at Merial full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Compassionate animal lovers. People care about their work and their customers. Strive for excellence. Mostly not very high stress environment.

Cons

Not much opportunity for growth. Best career opportunities are in sales or in science.

Other Employee Reviews for Merial

1. Great place to get hands on learning with Vmware and to work with a great group of people

Former Employee - Windows Systems Administrator in Duluth, GA
    Former Employee - Windows Systems Administrator in Duluth, GA

I worked at Merial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As a Contractor I was always meeting new people which gave me a name to put with a face. In doing so it made it when I was sending out mass emails I knew who these people were that i was emailing.

Cons

Some of the challenges of working at merial was that people would sometimes drag there feet when it came to get things done

Disappointing, The company is in serious decline.

Former Employee - Manufacturing Technician
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Technician

I worked at Merial full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits. The people I worked with in my department are incredibly hard working and willing to help. That's about it.

Cons

Many talented people have left due in part to terrible management of day to day activities. Most systems are highly manual in nature. Many mistakes and potential problems could be avoided if investments were made to update and automate critical systems. The costs of some mistakes have been very expensive and could have been avoided. Yet management will not make changes. New projects are forced into areas that do not have the capability or the personnel to accept the increased workload. Many of the management team do not have any production floor experience or knowledge of current activities. Performance review is another area that is rife with unfairness and favoritism. Everyone has to fit into a bell curve - so many people get a good review, so many get a bad review, and so many get an excellent review. This system places the workforce in competition with one another. If a department has 5 exceptional people, someone will most be getting a bad review no matter what. Microsoft had the same performance review system in place for many years and had to abandon it because they were losing so many good people. Same thing is happening here. I've heard performance review ratings will be changed to comply with the bell curve whether it's justified or not. Work-Life balance is a thing of the past. People are forced to stay until the work is done. Forced to work 13-14 hrs a day, nights, weekends - doesn't matter.

Advice to Management

The company is very good at finance, sales and marketing but terrible at manufacturing. Get rid of outdated systems that force a high level of manual intervention. Take responsibility for your actions. Quit blaming the lower level workers when problems occur and give them the resources needed for success. Anything less and you are merely setting up your workforce for failure.