There are newer employer reviews for Merkle

Merkle is not perfect, but overall a darn good place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Columbia, MD
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Merkle

Pros

Private company so can manage financials beyond quarter to quarter and make smarter long term decisions than a public company. Amazing co-workers all very bright, work hard and nice. Little to no politics. Great clients provide interesting work with a lot of breadth and depth of experience. Fun culture. Very flexible. Very autonomous.

Cons

High expectations because the bar or standars are very high based on the quality of the people there. Need to be able to juggle many things and stand on your own. Support exists but a lot of accountability is placed on each person. You can always find things to pick on about any company and Merkle is not perfect, but in comparison to the many other places I have worked Merkle is at the top and I feel very confident that senior management is doing the best they can to balance the needs of employees, clients and profitability.

As the company grows continue to put more standards in place as lack of consistency is a bigger problem across a larger organization than a smaller one.

173 Other Employee Reviews for Merkle (View Most Recent)

Pretty good but could be better

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Merkle

Pros

One of the best things is that they are very flexable about working hours and working from home

Cons

you work very hard and are unappriecated. you never know if you will have a job

It would be great if people go noticed and were all treated fairly

No Training + High Turnover = A Lost Company

Former Employee - Lead Analyst  in  Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Lead Analyst in Columbia, MD

I worked at Merkle

Pros

You can wear jeans to work.

Cons

Bait and Switch Recruiting: In the 2 weeks between receiving a verbal offer and my official offer letter, Merkle demoted the title, decreased the salary, and slashed the number of vacation days. They enticed me with one position, but the job I finally got barely resembled the title, responsibility or compensation Merkle advertised, interviewed me for and verbally offered. My boss-to-be tried to ease my concerns over the title change by noting that the same thing happened to him. Seems like that indicates a pattern of bait and switch recruiting.

HR is Very Disorganized: On my first day, no one was expecting me. There was neither a desk nor a computer set up. I waited idly in a conference room for 2 hours while HR tried to track down my new boss. He also hadn't been expecting me.

The IT Department is Ineffective: Of the numerous requests or bugs I entered during my time there (most of which were simple, but essential, permissions requests), only 1 was ever resolved, and that required escalating the matter to my VP, who had to personally visit the IT guys to convince them to handle the issue.

They have No Training or On-Boarding Program: None. Zero. Zilch. Not even a tour of the building. I repeatedly asked for training resources and was ignored. I asked my coworkers, my boss, his boss and his boss's boss. No one had time for me. I was left to fend for myself.

Due to High Turnover, There is No Historical or Institutional Knowledge: There were no other analysts on my accounts. Every previous analyst had been fired or quit in the preceding 5 months. My boss joined Merkle just 1 month before me, so there was literally no one who could outline or explain the work I was expected to do. I was left to sift aimlessly through hundreds of disorganized files and thousands of lines of uncommented SQL in an attempt to reconstruct the work and processes of my predecessors. Worse yet, after a mere 6 days on the job, I was told that I was the resident expert on 3 different accounts and that, if anything, I should be the person explaining these accounts to others. Talk about being set up to fail!

In sum, I felt that Merkle was consistently dishonest with me and provided zero support or training. Thankfully I was able to get my old job back and didn't have to hang around too long.

There are newer employer reviews for Merkle

Worked for Merkle? Contribute to the Community!