Merkle

www.merkleinc.com
  www.merkleinc.com
There are newer employer reviews for Merkle

One of the best companies to work for in this space

Current Employee - Associate Director in Columbia, MD
Current Employee - Associate Director in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Merkle

Pros

Leading company in Database marketing

Cons

Disconnect amongst departments and employees

Pause from emphasis on being billable and allow employees to improve/fix things are right

190 Other Employee Reviews for Merkle (View Most Recent)

I've had great managers and the opportunity to learn, grow and succeed here.

Current Employee - Creative in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Creative in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Merkle

Pros

Merkle is a healthy company and the leaders have an incredible appetite to grow -- and are actually doing it. It's tough to get a job at Merkle because they only want the best and smartest people and the interview process is rigorous! I can almost guarantee in any given meeting you won't be the smartest person in the room so learning opportunities are ample. Merkle is quick to give you responsibility with a degree of autonomy so if you're smart, talented and hungry, it's the place for you.

Cons

The downside of a growth company is constant change and adaptation. Although the core senior leaders have been in place for many years, the middle management shifts a good bit and ocassionally you'll see a lot of transition all at once. Another downside is demand. Merkle is an incredibly demanding company and seems to be continually under resourced. You work hard here and depending on your department, some nights and weekends (or many). I'm fortunate in my position for that to be the exception and not the norm, but I've seen much worse in other business units. The biggest downside is that Merkle isn't all that family friendly. I do have a young child and am able to spend a ton of time with him, but I work at it and I have an awesome manager who knows that family comes first. That isn't always the case for others, however.

Help your staff achieve a better work-life balance. I have a great manager who truly gets what's important, but I know this is not something that other employees experience. When possible, try to have company activities that include family -- even kids. Company picnic or day at the ballpark -- just something that says Merkle knows we have families and appreciates the support they give behind the scenes to help Merkle grow.

Only work here if you have to

Current Employee - Account Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Merkle

Pros

I would say the only real pros of Merkle are the people who work around you (not management). I work with some great people. That being said, it is also nice to work in a casual office, with free coffee and drinks as well. Merkle's compensation tends to be slightly higher than average if you know how to negotiate. If you make it through their arduous interview process, it means they want you and will play ball if you know how.

Cons

Just about everything else. First, and foremost they have zero commitment to anyone. You could be working hard and diligently and then they loose a client and BAM, you are canned minutes later. And then they go and hire a fresh crop a few weeks later when a new client signs up. Really godawful business strategy. Which leads to my next issue: there is absolutely zero training, for anything other than a few webinars on how to bill time. Since the place is like a revolving door there is never a single person comfortable enough to train a new person. You have to learn on the fly.

They also no work/life balance here. Again, due to the revolving door nature of the place, everyone is forced to pick up the extra work from all the recent departures (whether they be lay offs, or voluntary). It is not uncommon for myself, and many other members of my team to work late (by late, I mean well into the night, every night) and all weekend to simply keep up. Your reward will be a little merkle logo and a 25$ giftcard... I think this mainly stems from the fact that most people here are 25-30. Old enough to have experience, but not enough to have security. They use this to work these kids into the ground.

There is also a lot of what I can only call "scheming" going on here. It's obvious the pink slips are coming out or a promotion possibility opens up. People here seem prone to go behind backs and backstab to save their own skin. I'm talking school yard type stuff, a white lie here and there, shifting blame to others. This type of environment is the result of paranoia most have for their job.

Finally, the biggest "con" of Merkle is the management (Senior directors, VPs). Most are luddites and have devolved into Yes men for leadership. Recommendations are shot down on whim. When you need them most they are mysteriously gone. Answers, when they are given, are vague and show clear lack of understanding. They won't define clear goals for clients, projects or anything because that would require effort. They have no interest in investing in new technology (and thus the future) when what we have can scrap by passable, barely there results with double the effort. When you do finish a big project or solve a major problem, they will be right there to take the credit however. I guess to sum it up, management lacks a complete sense of foresight.

Treat your employees with respect, and you will get the same in return. It's a simple concept that is tried and true. No gimmicks. Just do it. If you are wondering "how?" it's simply the exact opposite of your current strategy. This is why no one sticks around for long.

Might want to look into reevaluating senior management positions.

There are newer employer reviews for Merkle