Merkle

www.merkleinc.com
  www.merkleinc.com
There are newer employer reviews for Merkle

So much potential... So much chaos...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I worked at Merkle

Pros

- Focused on revenue growth
- Really bright analytics/statistics minds
- Most people work hard and care
- Pretty office with nice cubes

Cons

- Zero communications between/among teams.
- No investment in products or sustaining anything but jobs that are "here and now".
- No loyalty to people.
- Incredible staff turnover.
- Little focus on real accountability. I literally heard senior managers say they used "surround sound" to determine reviews. That means what other people are saying about someone behind their backs. That is not the same thing as "360 degrees".
- It may be a "private company", but the new private equity backers expect a return. They are funny that way. And poor management will result in poor earnings growth. Welcome to pseudo-public accounting.

Every growth company has phases where the demands on a staff outstrip the capabilities of the original people. Those that got you there often cannot get you to the next level. It is time to make tough, hard changes starting with senior management. Someone has to stand up and do what is right.

190 Other Employee Reviews for Merkle (View Most Recent)

One of the best companies to work for in this space

Current Employee - Associate Director in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Merkle

Pros

Leading company in Database marketing

Cons

Disconnect amongst departments and employees

Pause from emphasis on being billable and allow employees to improve/fix things are right

I've had great managers and the opportunity to learn, grow and succeed here.

Current Employee - Creative in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Creative in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Merkle

Pros

Merkle is a healthy company and the leaders have an incredible appetite to grow -- and are actually doing it. It's tough to get a job at Merkle because they only want the best and smartest people and the interview process is rigorous! I can almost guarantee in any given meeting you won't be the smartest person in the room so learning opportunities are ample. Merkle is quick to give you responsibility with a degree of autonomy so if you're smart, talented and hungry, it's the place for you.

Cons

The downside of a growth company is constant change and adaptation. Although the core senior leaders have been in place for many years, the middle management shifts a good bit and ocassionally you'll see a lot of transition all at once. Another downside is demand. Merkle is an incredibly demanding company and seems to be continually under resourced. You work hard here and depending on your department, some nights and weekends (or many). I'm fortunate in my position for that to be the exception and not the norm, but I've seen much worse in other business units. The biggest downside is that Merkle isn't all that family friendly. I do have a young child and am able to spend a ton of time with him, but I work at it and I have an awesome manager who knows that family comes first. That isn't always the case for others, however.

Help your staff achieve a better work-life balance. I have a great manager who truly gets what's important, but I know this is not something that other employees experience. When possible, try to have company activities that include family -- even kids. Company picnic or day at the ballpark -- just something that says Merkle knows we have families and appreciates the support they give behind the scenes to help Merkle grow.

There are newer employer reviews for Merkle