Merkle

There are newer employer reviews for Merkle

Smart and Talented People/Executives Lost in the Digital Wilderness

Former Employee - Vice President in Denver, CO
Former Employee - Vice President in Denver, CO

I worked at Merkle full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Surrounded by outstanding and smart people
Great client list
Young, driven, fun culture
Smart and capable CEO that employees like and relate to.

Cons

Executive team doesn't truly understand digital and keeps looking for a savior from the outside
Frat culture where you're either part of the frat or an outsider
Too much turn over of talented people
Mgt doesn't want to trust the execs it hired to run the business and they get discouraged and go elsewhere
Not much diversity amongst Sr leadership team.
Co-Presidents that hinder rather than enable business
Company has been nicknamed WERKLE and for good reason.

Find good people and set them free to run the business without perpetual meddling from Curley and Mo (Co-Presidents)

209 Other Employee Reviews for Merkle (View Most Recent)

There is a lot of opportunities.

Current Employee - Technology in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Technology in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Merkle full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Merkle’s position in the marketplace gives it a greater advantage over traditional technology companies. Having worked at other technology companies, Merkle is able to truly help companies make money with the solutions it provides. I believe Merkle is in a place to be as large if not larger than other marketing services providers, and I enjoy being part of this. There is quite a bit of freedom, but there is an expectation that you will excel at what you do and go above and beyond in your normal duties. Due to this, you find that Merkle has hired a lot of very smart people whom are focused on driving the business forward. I have been happy with the opportunities at Merkle.

Cons

Merkle’s driven culture does lead to strains on Work/Life balance, especially in areas linked to client implementations, but I have yet to work at a place where this is not true. Due to some fluidity in the organizational structure and a highly driven workforce, sometime the set corporate strategy is not well translated to specific activities for the more focused areas of the organization. New understandings about market trends can get clogged at a senior management level and do not filter down quick enough to bring the rest of the company into the light. This can lead to some disconnects in the story.

Stay focused, but do more to bring the rest of the company in line with the vision.

Growth company, pros and cons

Current Employee - Senior Director
    Current Employee - Senior Director

I have been working at Merkle full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Merkle has the correct vision to succeed in the marketplace. I joined Merkle as I had heard it's a place that is filled with highly intelligent professionals that take very innovative approaches to analytics (TRUE). Additionally, the strategic roadmap currently in place, IMO, is right on target - with an emphasis on digital and CRM and Big Data.

Cons

Merkle has an odd approach to hours and time spent working. Like other agencies I've been at, employees do what it takes to get the job done. That's the nature of being a consultant. What's different at Merkle is that this understanding is made quite explicit, almost as if people joining the company need to be reminded that consultants work flexible, but long, hours. And by making the expectation explicit, it can breed some resentment among the staff.

Stop telling people how hard they must work. Merkle is filled with excellent professionals that already know what to expect when they join a hard-charging, industry agency leader. Other agencies simply rely on hiring the best staff and letting the hours take care of themselves.

There are newer employer reviews for Merkle