Merlin Entertainments

Good place to work

Current Employee - Food and Beverage Shift Lead in Winter Haven, FL
Current Employee - Food and Beverage Shift Lead in Winter Haven, FL

I have been working at Merlin Entertainments

Pros

Fairness to employees Hard work is reconized and rewarded Decent starting pay Supervisors communicate well with their employees Job advancement is fairly easy if you are a hard worker

Cons

Re-active rather then proactive Difficult to get hired on full-time Favoritism to certain employees is common Lack of set positions (i.e. sous cook, grill master, ect.)

Advice to Management

Don't play favorites. Just because you hang out after work, doesn't mean they deserve all the rewards. Put out important information in a better way rather then just word of mouth.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Great please to work for short term.

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Merlin Entertainments as a contractor

Pros

Get to make some amazing friendships Great benefits Just is good if you like working with people on mass

Cons

Very hard to more around the organisation Can get very cliquey in management. Attractions don't follow company vision

2. n/a

Current Contractor - Food and Beverage Host in Thorpe, South East England, England (UK)

I have been working at Merlin Entertainments as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of great discounts and other [job] benefits, flexible hours.

Cons

Apart from the fact it only pays min. wage, there is nothing wrong with the job or company, but I don't own my own car or home and it's expensive to live in the area just for the work, but like I said that isn't Merlin's fault, only mine.

Advice to Management

Firstly; DO NOT TEAR DOWN THE SMILER AT ALTON TOWERS, REOPEN SAW-THE RIDE AT THORPE PARK AND RATTLESNAKE AT CHESSINGTON WORLD OF ADVENTURES [I did not know that you had closed dragons fury at chessington until a colleague told me, I am glad is was not closed when I went there a few weeks ago]. Ok you should have questioned the safety of the ride - the Smiler - from day one when it had teething problems, but you fixed those issues and for the most part, it has operated very well since opening. The recent crash was, as far as I know, entirely down to human error and I'm sure the staff member - or members - responsible [for operating the ride at the time] feel very bad and sincerely sorry for the subsequent injuries suffered by the riders involved. I could not deal with the thought that my actions cost a young, fit and healthy woman her leg along with the other riders injuries - cuts, bruises, broken bones etc. Closing the two other rides, in my opinion, is completely unnecessary especially since rattlesnake has operated perfectly since opening in the late 1990's and Saw - the ride has never had any issues. The fact that Saw and Smiler are built by the same company, does not mean they have the same risk factor for crashing or breaking down in any way. I know what I'm talking about when it comes to rollercoasters, I do and have done, my research. If the rides that are closed at present remain so permanently, you will easily lose guests/customers and possibly revenue, and as a business you most likely do not want to lose money, since you have new and upcoming projects all over the world that need as much funding as possible. I hope that you make the right decision and open all the rides, taking into account that reopening them will ease any strain on all other rides at the parks aforementioned.