Merrill Lynch

www.baml.com
There are newer employer reviews for Merrill Lynch

A stepping stone to where I wanted to be

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Long Beach, CA
Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Long Beach, CA

I worked at Merrill Lynch full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Self Managed work environment
- In depth support across company's business units
- Flexible working hours
- Great benefits

Cons

- Disconnect between corporate and local offices
- More training and support for FA PMD Program

1267 Other Employee Reviews for Merrill Lynch (View Most Recent)

Not the same since Bank of America

Current Employee - Senior Operations Analyst in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Operations Analyst in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Merrill Lynch full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Was an amazing place to work for. Very professional, great benefits, and talented people until the merger with Bank of America. Since the merger, they have been slowly taking away our benefits and bonuses. The atmosphere has become very laxed but micromanaged at the same time. Less of a professional atmosphere. Most of the talented people have left and have been replaced with less talented people with less ambition.

Cons

The VPs and AVPs like to derail important meetings to talk about reality TV shows, Babies, and food.

Talented people are passed over for promotions in favor of friends and family members.

Intern

Current Employee - Intern in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Merrill Lynch as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

Merrill Lynch gives its employees excellent access to world-class research, amazing exposure to the Investment Banking and Securities industry, advisors have always been open to answering all questions asked of them and are amazingly personable.

Cons

Interning with financial advisors may not be the best internship for college students as I have learned. Unless you are licensed, there isn't much that the interns can pick up from a learning standpoint. I have seen a lot of interns primarily file, bind reports, and escort clients to and from the front desk. Prospecting is the name of the game for financial advisors, and interns usually cannot provide value for themselves in this space versus an investment banking internship.

Provide a sort of training program for interns, regardless of how brief it may be. Perhaps have top producers in the office host intuitive seminars regarding asset allocation strategies, role playing opportunities to allow interns to understand how to sit down and speak with clients/prospects, etc.

There are newer employer reviews for Merrill Lynch