Merrill Lynch

www.baml.com
  www.baml.com
There are newer employer reviews for Merrill Lynch

An excellent experience that opened me up to the wealth management industry!

Former Employee - Wealth Management Intern in Pittsburgh, PA
Former Employee - Wealth Management Intern in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Merrill Lynch as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Great exposure to senior financial advisors and management. Worked one-on-one with wealth management group financial advisors and client associates. Management offered sound advice and were wide open to formal and informal conversations throughout the office. The culture cultivated a pristine and honorable environment that I enjoyed working in throughout the two year internship.

Cons

As one of a few interns throughout the office, there were not many people my own age.

Have more structured branch activities involving interns to "ease" up on the conservative financial services culture that can be seen from out viewpoint.

1235 Other Employee Reviews for Merrill Lynch (View Most Recent)

Great company to start out with as an FA

Current Employee - PMD Financial Advisor in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - PMD Financial Advisor in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Merrill Lynch full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good starting salary plus benefits and possoble bonuses, flexible work schedule, endless growth potential, possibility to make a lot of money

Cons

Very difficult goals and a lot of competition

Terrible PMD program

Former Employee - Financial Advisor
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor

I worked at Merrill Lynch full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They paid for my Series 7 and 66, decent salary while you are studying, great coworkers, not much outside of that

Cons

Unless you love cold calling out of a phone book, this is not the job for you. You are expected to bring in $30 Million in assets in 3 years, with basically no help at all. I suppose if you have a lot of rich friends and family who trust you, you could do alright.

As a recent college graduate, I had basically no chance. They just hire a bunch of PMDs, have them bring in a few clients, and then fire them. Its all a part of their business model. Unless you can get on a team, your chances of success are about 1%.

"Training" consists of nothing more than watching outdated video from the 90's. Absolutely terrible.

Out of the 7 guys who started at the same time as me, I think there is only 1 still working there, and he is very close to getting the ax. Most PMDs are actively interviewing at other places during their employment with ML.

Lower sales goals. Put more people on teams.

There are newer employer reviews for Merrill Lynch