Merrill Lynch

www.baml.com
  www.baml.com
There are newer employer reviews for Merrill Lynch

Good place to work, depends on branch office manager.

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Jacksonville, FL
Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Merrill Lynch

Pros

As a financial advisor, they are one of the few places to pay you a salary the first year.

Cons

I hoped to get better sales training and mentors. Our coaches were not helpful when it came to sales at all. I did not meet my goals and was fired. After I left, there were a lot of my coworkers who also ended up in the same position. When I interviewed, I was told 1 in 2 got through the program. In reality, it was about 1 in 20. Thankfully, the coach was replaced after I left and I hope they are doing better.

Set up a program to help the younger financial advisors get help when they ask for it.

1233 Other Employee Reviews for Merrill Lynch (View Most Recent)

The Operation Was a Success, But the Patient Died.

Former Employee - AVP/Systems Engineer in Hopewell, NJ
    Former Employee - AVP/Systems Engineer in Hopewell, NJ

I worked at Merrill Lynch

Pros

Hard to say. Perhaps a place to get started, but that is not unique to Merrill. Let's face it, the "company," first of all, is always just the people around you. If you are lucky to get in with a good group, you will do better than getting in with a bad group. You can deal with an overall bad employer as long as the "company" around you is doable. But there comes the tipping point when it just isn't worth it any longer. One plus, I suppose, is that training is supported, but, again, depends on the manager.

Cons

Merrill is an organization that is dying on the inside. People are very unhappy and scared. If you are in IT, as I was, and get the feeling that management is desperately trying to get rid of you, I'd say you are right. Like many "great" companies, Merrill is running on its old image, and a powerful image it is. Take, for example, the poor sucker sovereign state(s) that recently dumped huge sums of money into Merrill, only to have the stock promptly tank.

What sense, really, was there in moving hundreds of IT positions to Jacksonville, FL? Let's hope it had to have been more than simply because a member of the board of directors has a construction company in the state. Certainly it's not because salaries are much lower there, because they are not. And which employees went there? Those with the fewest skills and options in the job market. And Singapore? Well, it is Asia, but not the one you are thinking of.

NA

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Merrill Lynch

Pros

Merrill lynch is a great company it all depends who you report to

Cons

Not a place for advancement atleast on the technology support side of the business

Look within your company you have lots of talented people

There are newer employer reviews for Merrill Lynch