There are newer employer reviews for Merry Maids

Not a career, a job that pays the bills.

Current Employee - Housekeeper in Eugene, OR
Current Employee - Housekeeper in Eugene, OR

I have been working at Merry Maids full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay
Good coworkers
Some nice customers(Some even tip)
Weekends off, with working one Saturday a month
Fairly regular hours(7:30 to between 12-6)
Company-planned events occasionally
Works with your schedule, somewhat
Good mileage compensation

Cons

Hard, busy, gross work at times(I enjoy it but some don't)
Sometimes pay isn't worth the job
Customers complain about stupid things sometimes and you have to redo houses for free
Sometimes a bit of a drive to your houses
Sometimes don't know when you'll get off
No real benefits besides paid holidays
Doesn't work well with a college schedule
No real advancement opportunities

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Don't work here!

Former Employee - Team Member
    Former Employee - Team Member

I worked at Merry Maids full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some lovely co-workers who were very sweet and fun to work with.
    Gave some basic entry-level experience in the field.
    Some areas serviced were beautiful, ie country areas, farms, etc.

Cons

Terrible pay--a 15% commission from a portion of the cost. This usually equals about ten to twenty dollars for a house. Commission decreases with the amount of time taken, so a house that needs 4 hours (most people work alone or in a team of 2) will wind up putting less money in your pocket--a lose-lose situation (if you take longer but do a great job, you make much less, but if you rush and do a poor job you will be taken down to minimum wage for the whole day's work--not just that one house!).
    LONG commutes. Up to two hours a day in driving.
    NO breaks, aside from driving from one house to another.
    Long work days much of the time. Required to be at the office no later than 7:30 am, and often i was not getting home until 6 pm or later (usually later).
    No recognition for outstanding performance, only punishment for poor performance.
    System of earning paid days off is convoluted and impossible to understand--you must achieve a number of goals to earn 3 paid days per quarter.
    There was a great deal of dishonesty in their advertisements for their open positions. I was under the assumption, from materials I'd read, that they gave tuition reimbursement for college classes, and was told that people could earn up to $700 a week. There was NO tuition reimbursement; new employees don't get benefits until they have been there 6 months; and nobody made a lot.
    My last week there I worked 48 hours and only brought home $272. Even weeks where i worked 60 hours i only brought home $450.
    The rate of pay changed every week. Some weeks I earned $10 an hour, but most I only earned $7.25 an hour.

Advice to Management

HONESTY, people!!!

Lied to about what commission would be, never compensated for gas.

Former Employee - Maid in Athens, GA
    Former Employee - Maid in Athens, GA

I worked at Merry Maids full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The work is good exercise, some of the customers can be very nice.

Cons

At the interview they tell you that you will make 15% of the price of every house cleaning- what they don't tell you is that you make 15% of whatever is LEFT OVER after they take out most of it. So essentially I was working 30-40 hours a week and never made more than $150.00 a week. They also told me that one of their newer maids got the hang of the job quickly and was able to move faster, and thus started making $400 a week or more. I asked her myself in private, and she laughed at me and said that that amount in unheard of. I was promised that I would be compensated for my gas that I burned driving miles and miles to different clients. Some of them were pretty far away. I never got one penny for gas despite turning in my mileage to them daily, so I spent most of my pay on gas. I'm not a kid that lives at home with mom and dad for free, so this was a pretty huge blow. Also, if a client complains about ANYTHING at all, you have to go and redo the house FOR FREE and you never get paid for doing it the first time. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone, ever.

Advice to Management

BE HONEST ABOUT THE PAY AND LACK OF GAS MONEY!