There are newer employer reviews for Mervyns

A job I will never do again.

Former Employee - Executive Team Leader in New Orleans, LA
Former Employee - Executive Team Leader in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Mervyns

Pros

Advancement opportunities or to beef up your resume either for volume sales or # employees managed.

Cons

As a male, it is a little bit difficult to assimilate into the culture. Most of the management is female. It is a company that requires you to have a cheerful attitude all of the time, management meetings are not serious and often full of ridiculous time-wasters disguised as team-building activities.

Look for a new job

reviews filtered by
  1. Mervyns...the tradegy that didn't need to happen!

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Hayward, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Hayward, CA

I worked at Mervyns

Pros

Before all the layoffs Mervyns was a great place to work. It had a friendly environment, challenging work, decent salaries, and room for advancement. We had training opportunities within the company and a lot of support. The people were the best, it was almost like family and many of the people who left prior to the end of the company say it will never be the same at any other company.

Cons

All that ended when Target sold Mervyns to a group of private equity investors who raped the company and left 20,000+ employees without jobs. Their greed led to the demise of Mervyns. We needed to have John Goodman at the helm a good 12-18 months before he showed up. By the time he joined, the end was already upon us and his hands were tied. He could have been our saving grace.

I'll be checking the "ownership" and financial results of any company I join in the future.

2. Mervyns used to be a good place to work.

Former Employee - Store Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Mervyns

Pros

Now there are none because it has gone out of business. But before, it was a fun environment, with a family feel to it. It was a rewarding experience and their pay for managers and above were competitive in the marketplace. Additionally, there was a lot of freedom to run your business as you saw fit, within certain guidelines and of course as long as it made good business sense.

Cons

Went bankrupt and out of business. Owners only cared about making a profit for themselves out of the real estate portion and drove the business into the ground. Also at times there were many different conflicting directions given out from headquarters. Very few benefitted positions exited within the store structure. Mostly all positions were part time, unbenefitted positions.

This is a mute point. Out of business.

There are newer employer reviews for Mervyns