Mervyns

www.mervyns.com

A job I will never do again.

Former Employee - Executive Team Leader  in  New Orleans, LA
Former Employee - Executive Team Leader in New Orleans, LA

Pros

Advancement opportunities or to beef up your resume either for volume sales or # employees managed.

Cons

As a male, it is a little bit difficult to assimilate into the culture. Most of the management is female. It is a company that requires you to have a cheerful attitude all of the time, management meetings are not serious and often full of ridiculous time-wasters disguised as team-building activities.

Look for a new job

Other reviews for Mervyns

Mervyns...the tradegy that didn't need to happen!

Former Employee - Senior Manager  in  Hayward, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Hayward, CA

Pros

Before all the layoffs Mervyns was a great place to work. It had a friendly environment, challenging work, decent salaries, and room for advancement. We had training opportunities within the company and a lot of support. The people were the best, it was almost like family and many of the people who left prior to the end of the company say it will never be the same at any other company.

Cons

All that ended when Target sold Mervyns to a group of private equity investors who raped the company and left 20,000+ employees without jobs. Their greed led to the demise of Mervyns. We needed to have John Goodman at the helm a good 12-18 months before he showed up. By the time he joined, the end was already upon us and his hands were tied. He could have been our saving grace.

I'll be checking the "ownership" and financial results of any company I join in the future.

Lack of investment ultimately sank ths once-pioneering ship.

Former Employee - Marketing Specialist  in  Hayward, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Hayward, CA

Pros

Revolving door for middle management gives opportunities for career progression. Genuine employees that make you feel at home-- no egotism. Facilities are in good shape because of former parent company's (Target) investment.

Cons

Very poor morale. Upper management are dictators who did not understand how to manage team morale. Leadership team did not reward the strong performers.

Now that it's shut down, there is not much left to say. Sadly, the infrastructure of Mervyn's was well-positioned for a comeback during the economic downtown. However, the leadership team's myopic focus on EBITDA ultimately sank the ship. The fall of Mervyn's is a tragedy in retail.

There are newer employer reviews for Mervyns.

Worked for Mervyns? Contribute to the Community!