There are newer employer reviews for Mervyns

All the possibilities of what could be.....

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Elk Grove, CA
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Elk Grove, CA

I have been working at Mervyns

Pros

The employees are nice, casual work environment. The best thing about working at Mervyns are the customers.

Cons

The leadership at this store is so, well, not there. The communication between management and associates does not exist, unless you are there for the 10 min. meetings before the store opens. The schedule changes weekly, which makes it almost impossible to make plans or even a doctor appointment. Working hard for this company doesn't seem to matter, you will be treated the same as the person next to you, who doesn't and is only there to socialize. I could really go on for days with the downsides of working for this company, but I think that just the fact that they have filed for Chap. 11 should speak loud enough.......

Advice to Management

I don't believe that any advice or any feedback would be listened to.......

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Great people, but no real job flexibility or professional training.

Current Employee - HQ Project Manager in Hayward, CA
    Current Employee - HQ Project Manager in Hayward, CA

I have been working at Mervyns

Pros

The people are generally very nice.

Cons

The budgets are so incredibly tight here. As an example, the *yearly* budget for training was less than $500 for 3 people. Unfortunately, that prevents you from any travel, and greatly reduces any opportunities for classroom training or seminars. Needless to say, professional growth is at a minimum, and again, this was before bankruptcy proceedings. Also, even though the people are great, there are many people here who haven't worked anywhere else. I believe that minimizes the amount of shareable ideas that go around.

Advice to Management

Increase training budgets to allow employees to remain competitive (on an individual basis)

2. Mervyns is bankrupt and probably will not survive the year.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hayward, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hayward, CA

I have been working at Mervyns

Pros

The culture is kind and down-to-earth, the people are great, the benefits have been very good.

Cons

Management shows an old-fashioned and fatal ignorance of modern business practices. There's a real lack of respect for workers. No one has had the vision to bring the company into the 21st century. No attention has been paid to building the brand into something memorable and likeable, and thus people come to us for sale merchandise and nothing else.

Advice to Management

Listen to those who are closest to the business. Jump-start the business into the 21st century. Build a unique and recognizable brand.