Mervyns

www.mervyns.com
  www.mervyns.com
There are newer employer reviews for Mervyns

All the possibilities of what could be.....

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Elk Grove, CA
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Elk Grove, CA

I have been working at Mervyns

Pros

The employees are nice, casual work environment. The best thing about working at Mervyns are the customers.

Cons

The leadership at this store is so, well, not there. The communication between management and associates does not exist, unless you are there for the 10 min. meetings before the store opens. The schedule changes weekly, which makes it almost impossible to make plans or even a doctor appointment. Working hard for this company doesn't seem to matter, you will be treated the same as the person next to you, who doesn't and is only there to socialize. I could really go on for days with the downsides of working for this company, but I think that just the fact that they have filed for Chap. 11 should speak loud enough.......

I don't believe that any advice or any feedback would be listened to.......

79 Other Employee Reviews for Mervyns (View Most Recent)

Great place to work if you know how to work it.

Current Employee - Senior Technical Designer in Hayward, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Designer in Hayward, CA

I have been working at Mervyns

Pros

Great opportunities for advancement. Decent amount of time off & flexibility regarding schedule. Pays better than most apparel companies in the area.

Cons

The location is too far away from the urban core. Also, Hayward is economically depressed and there is a fair amount of crime in the area. These two circumstances make it difficult for managers to recruit top talent.

Communication from upper management: they need to do a better job of explaining company strategy to the rank and file. Specifically, employees need to understand how their individual jobs relate to the strategy and how they can support business initiatives.

Morale: the corporate culture needs improvement. I would prefer a more positive work environment. Management should send a message that employees need to support each other, and that negative attitudes won't be tolerated.

Fun atmosphere for minimum wage... great for 2nd job around the holidays or nights

Former Employee - Store Scheduler in Madera, CA
    Former Employee - Store Scheduler in Madera, CA

I worked at Mervyns

Pros

The discount was great as well as the team members. There was a sense of partnership and friendship.

Cons

The pay is horrible as is most of retail. The amount of work you are required to do is amazing considering the pay is basically minimum wage.

To include the staff in more of the numbers-crunching aspect of sales. Many of the team members do not fully understand what sales means and why is it important for excellent customer service. They are just there to fold shirts, but it is so much more than that. Unfortunately, I do not think they realize that they are vital to business.

There are newer employer reviews for Mervyns