Great Product, Great People

Current Employee - Manager
Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Message Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Message Systems has an incredible team of very bright people making some awesome products. They take being customer focused very seriously, and that shows not only in their interactions with them but also in the nature of the products they create. Products which are inherently flexible so that the customer can make them fit their needs rather than forcing the customer to change their needs to fit the product. With the products they produce, Management here is very accessible and truly open all the way to the top. There is a very real desire to make this a great place to work, and a real interest in hearing feedback from all levels of the company.

Cons

MessageSystems is a growing company, and as such they are facing the challenges of all companies that eventually make that transition from spunky startup to serious business. This is particularly so when the top management is generally technical people. This is a subjective opinion, but I feel they have fallen at times into the usual traps of "everybody knows" business truths that seem to persist despite decades of research and evidence to the contrary - much of it seemingly coming as a result of outside input. That said, it's a very minor con, because there is a sincere desire to figure out how to get through this transition and still be a great company on the other side. They want a culture of continuous improvement, and they are serious about actually measuring success. Everything is generally up for offering alternatives and improvement where data and measured improvement can be provided.

Advice to Management

It's not really necessary to put anything here, because if I have concerns I'm entirely confident raising those directly anywhere up my chain I wish. Not only does this company have an open door policy, they pretty much have a "no door" policy.

Other Employee Reviews for Message Systems

Freedom To Think

I have been working at Message Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Many years I have worked in this industry and the terms CTO and CIO have never meant anything other than "a person that managers technical directors". In this company, not only are C-level executives programmers but so are many of the Managers and Directors. Got a code or product question? Post it on the intranet and anyone from an Engineer to the CEO could reply (without the "you didn't know that?" attitude). Compassion for a true work-life balance, working with teams that I can learn from and assist new people during their onboarding, it all comes full circle here. Health care costs rose and the CEO deflected the cost for us. Many other mini-perks too, but the best is being part of the fastest growing technology that reaches people daily. Have something you think may improve the product? Recommend it. Your idea may be rolled in to the next release. Thinking outside the box is a desirable trait. I would recommend working here and more importantly, when people ask if I would recommend them for a job here, I think twice whether they would be a good fit. People here are that awesome.

Cons

With so many teams working very hard, getting together for cross-training is difficult. Enhance skills of current employees not only with external training, but internal cross-training.

Advice to Management

Travel policy should have more traveler input. Those that travel often should have more flexibility in where to stay and what/how it's reimbursed and also offer a small stipend for home office equipment. Bring remote employees into the office a couple of times a year to work with the rest of the teams to foster working relationships and knowledge sharing.

Ability to grow my skills with smart, enthusiastic people

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Message Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoy the people, the problems we solve, the relaxed work environment as well as the effort of management to make it a fun place to work.

Cons

Process churn, too many meetings, employee turnover

Advice to Management

Create a plan for retaining employees by offering regular stock options, compensation increases based on performance. Hearing everyones opinion and not always make decisions within a wmall group. Also, reduce the nu,ber of meetings held during a day.