Met-Pro

www.met-pro.com

Good company

Sales Manager (Former Employee)

ProsI enjoyed working at MPR, responsible financial management - maybe even a bit too conservative, never nickle and dimed on expenses, didn't feel as if I worked for a tyrant, President and CFO of company always open to questions and gave honest answers when confidentiality wasn't an issue. In short - A good company that values hard work but balances work and life. Past President and CEO said his goal was for everyone to make a good living. Most of the products are either niche products or leaders in their market space so winning jobs is fairly easy - I've had to work harder at other companies to win jobs. They don't try to be all things to all people - they pick their markets, their battles and their strategies and don't expect miracles outside of those core markets.

ConsEach operating division is on it's own and must surrender its profits at the end of the year to corporate - they don't retain the profits so they must beg for money to reinvest in the operating division. I think it works for shareholders and company officers but the divisions can be starved of R&D money, making their product portfolio less effective over time - the competition invests in product R&D, manufacturing and marketing and nibbles at MPR's edges. Over enough years, the edges become pretty significant and the division becomes a market laggard. Again, I think the CFO and CEO do well by the shareholders but when your job is to work in the division, it can feel like an uphill battle when trying to maintain marketshare.

It did feel as if there was a "we/they" compensation gap between management and rank and file - management's compensation grows while rank and file compensation stagnates - this is especially true of perks like retirement benefits.

There isn't much chance for advancement - next to none. The operating divisions are small and they never cross promote within divisions so you are stuck in your division. If your boss doesn't leave, you'll be in your position forever.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think the only thing missing at MPR is sharing the company's prosperity with the rank and file - not so much yearly compensation, which is competitive; but retirement benefits. The company has plenty of cash and is very generous with division managers and corporate but it does't extend to employees. I wasn't unhappy at MPR but I did leave, in part, because I could retire from another company under better financial circumstances.

Alot learned

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Greenville, SC

I worked at Met-Pro

Pros: Needed a job they were the first to ask Cons: Pay was not good in comparison to market No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Met-Pro.

Worked for Met-Pro? Contribute to the Community!