Excellent

Former Employee - Administrative Clerk in Troy, NY
Former Employee - Administrative Clerk in Troy, NY

I worked at MetLife

Pros

It all depends what your position is , there is a lot of flexibility , management works to make sure everyone is covered, and eveyone is comfortable.

Cons

There is any on my side, except for people need to be able to communicate more with issues without any arguments.

Advice to Management

Should never left Troy, NY we could of done something different for the budget, if this was the problem.

reviews filtered by

Good learning experience, bad compensation program.

Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in Denver, CO

I worked at MetLife

Pros

Snoopy, flexible work & laid-back environment, good support during the first 19 weeks.

Cons

Most other financial services companies in the industry will pay between 45% and 60% of production with most office expenses paid for. However, MetLife takes half of the production and also charges all expenses to the agent after 3 years. This means that you, the agent, will pay for your office space per sq. feet, your laptop, network access, front desk lady, compliance, chair, postage, E&O insurance, state registration fees, federal registration fees etc. During my 3rd year, my net expenses totaled $22,000 (net out of pocket) just to work for MetLife. I had to PAY them to work there. The problem with this is that the average MetLife agent in 2009 across the US made a gross of $24,000 a year. This meant that the average agent had to use their credit cards to get by and eventually quit with a handful of debt. As long as you understand MetLife's program and what I wrote on here, it's a good experience.

Advice to Management

Be more agent centric with a better program.

2. Large company but opportunities for advancement limited. Work from home opportunities abound in IT.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Long Island City, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Long Island City, NY

I have been working at MetLife

Pros

People count is a core value and it is taken seriously. Many employees have worked together for long periods so your reputation goes a long way towards getting things done.

Cons

Opportunities for advancement are limited. Long Island City is a growing but inconvenient location and pretty terrible still on the outside. This is offset by flexible work arrangements. Some management still needs to change.

Advice to Management

The primary reason why many people stay with Met is its flexibility with working arrangements and management respect towards employees.