There are newer employer reviews for MetLife

It was good at first, then ok

Former Employee - General Office Assistant in Mesa, AZ
Former Employee - General Office Assistant in Mesa, AZ

I worked at MetLife full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to serve public through back office support role, learned the products and liked them.

Cons

Person who hired me was great, but he stepped down from his role. Person who took over had a different mindset and I think they decided to work me out of the company. I was not girly-girly enough to fit in with the other women, although that was not the reason they gave for letting me go. Also, some bosses I dealt with daily had a problem with me taking the standard breaks.

Advice to Management

Don't expect the impossible. I was not trained and given adequate time for position they switched me to in order to dispose of me.

reviews filtered by

Good company with shifing priorities

Former Employee - Assistant Vice President in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at MetLife full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity to move around and learn the business. Good benefits for long timers but a tendency to let folks go once they get to a certain level.

Cons

Shifting priorities occasionally create dysfunctional environment.

Advice to Management

If your core principles include "people count" then layoffs of high performing employees should be more rare. Rank & file employees often see officers sent packing. Makes them more hesitant to express an interest in advancement or share ideas / opinions that could drive business.

2. Excellent benefits. Great product line, crappy corporate human resources.

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at MetLife full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You never have to explain who Snoopy is. Never had a financial issue in paying customers.

Cons

Inexperienced back office can degrade customer service after you have handled them. Compliance is overly strict and inflexible.

Advice to Management

Return phone calls. Address employee complaints as efficiently as customer complaints.