Metlife IT used to be good place to work, I hear otherwise with the new changes

Former Employee - Information Systems Consultant  in  Convent Station, NJ
Former Employee - Information Systems Consultant in Convent Station, NJ

I worked at MetLife

Pros

Its a family oriented culture in IT and people are taken care of

Cons

Pay is not that much but it is compensated by benefits

Get rid of some incompetent middle management layers

Other Reviews for MetLife

It's not all about Snoopy....

Former Employee - Sales Customer Service  in  Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Customer Service in Tampa, FL

I worked at MetLife

Pros

Salary, Bonus, Pension, Great Health Benefits

Cons

Poorly Trained Management, unorganization, poor training,

Please take some courses on management. If you are not fit to manage people...then do not do it.

Not a professional environment.

Current Employee - IDI Claims Specialist  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - IDI Claims Specialist in Tampa, FL

I have been working at MetLife

Pros

Flexible schedules. Pay is reasonable. for the position.

Cons

The individual disability claims department is small, with around 40 employees and there are only three career levels, IDI Claims Specialist, Sr. IDI claims specialist, and technical advisor. So if you're looking for a place with excellent career advancement opportunities; you would fare better by transferring to another department within the company.

One of the benefits that are emphasized when one gets hired is 100% tuition reimbursement; however, what they don't tell you is that it is up to "manager's discretion", so one employee may receive it where another may not. A bachelor's degree is preferred for the entry level claims position and although the tuition reiumbursement is supposed to also apply to master level degrees, managment has one more than one occassion that I'm aware of chosen for whom they will approve the reimbursement. Of note is that NONE of the members of managment hold anything higher than a bachelor's degree.

Another downside is the lack of consistency within the department with regard to poicies and procedures. Not all employees are held to the same standard, which causes unfair treatment, especially when it comes to performance evaluations. Additionally, because the managment team is p made of up people who have been with the company from 5, 7, to 13+ years, but DO NOT have any managment experience, the department is poorly managed overall, and quite honestly reminiscent of high school with the level of gossip and cattiness that influences decisions. I'm actually suprised that the company has not received any EEOC complaints or lawsuits, because this department is human resources nightmare!

Lastly ,I would like to say that I think MetLife is a great company to work for, but the Individual Disability (IDI) Claims Department is not an example of this.

Training in the form of an advanced degree on how to manage people. Display a higher level of maturity and professionalism.

There are newer employer reviews for MetLife.

Worked for MetLife? Contribute to the Community!