There are newer employer reviews for MetLife

Good company, run very efficiently, average pay

Current Employee - Director in Morristown, NJ
Current Employee - Director in Morristown, NJ

I have been working at MetLife full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work-life balance is important. People work with high integrity and morals. Smart employees.

Cons

Bump into folks who have an "insurance company" mentality. Pay is average. Not a highly competitive place.

Advice to Management

Pay for performance and create paths for young, high performers to want to stay....getting better at it but plenty of room for improvement.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

MetLife is a great company to work for if you value your benefits and family's prosperity.

Former Intern - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at MetLife as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Networking among peers is great and it is a friendly working environment. As an intern, I was exposed to senior management and learned many useful skills to used in the corporate world.

Cons

Typically, it is a conservative company. Hence, there is not much room for innovation and new ideas. As a 23 year old, I would prefer to work for a company that values new technologies as I am an IT major.

Sad and dysfunctional

I worked at MetLife full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

401K sharing, large parking lot, new rest rooms, centrally located, good security force on site

Cons

Management is not trained in people skills but are trained in the metrics used to rate their employees. All that they care about is how many cases you complete per hour. The faster you work, the better they like you. But be careful about errors. Cases are scrutinized for what are called fatal errors. Too many of those and management will begin progressive discipline. They tell us we are exempt but then they require us to make up time for doctor's appointments. When we work overtime, we are paid a flat rate of $16/hour and not time and a half. They look for loopholes and if they had their way, we would pay them to work there. Very stressful dysfunctional punitive work environment. Employees who have been there forever and know the twighlighted systems are kept even though they have lost their usefulness. They have all the power because management knows they have knowledge they need to keep antiquated systems working. Raises are non-existent and you will become poorer working here. Yet, the review system is complex and time consuming. They want it to look good on paper and you must use their "elevator speech" about how great the place is at all times. Former employees often talk about post traumatic stress syndrome and cannot even drive by the building because of the negative sad feelings it engenders. If they were not the only game in town and the economy were better, there would have been an mass exodus years ago. So glad I found another job before they announced their outsourcing plans. My friends who remain there are stuck and quite depressed.

Advice to Management

It's too late now but respect your employees, pay them a living wage for the tremendous volume of work they do, and watch out for the loophole you found in order to pay them only $16 an hour for overtime. Someday that will come back to haunt you as employees talk about a class action constantly.