There are newer employer reviews for MetLife

A good place to work... but your soul will die.

Current Employee - Information Systems Specialist in Troy, NY
Current Employee - Information Systems Specialist in Troy, NY

Pros

The benefits are wonderful. Pay is somewhat competitive, learning opportunities abound. Very advanced hardware, a little slow on the uptake on how to manage it though.

Cons

Too much red tape. No clear vision on how to get things done. Advancement opps limited. Too many Silos.

Advice to Management

Break down the walls between lines of business and IT. Fix the change management process.

Other Employee Reviews for MetLife

1. Big company with big goals, great opportunities, great benefits

Current Employee - Financial Service Representative in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Financial Service Representative in Cedar Rapids, IA

Pros

Multiple training systems including webinars via internet, virtual classrooms and the company "portal". Excellent employee benefits (Health, dental, life, short & long term disability, voluntary life, voluntary long term care) however they have a vision discount program and not an actual vision insurance program. Regularly scheduled meetings with management to ensure performance objectives are met. These meetings are excellent coaching sessions to keep me on track and focused on my personal goals.

Cons

It's a big company, you can get lost in the system. Also, they have a sophisticated training system with multiple access points but no priority in what to learn first. It's easy to get overwhelmed, especially with the constant barage of e-mails.

Advice to Management

Don't change your training system, just organize it better, prioritizing classes and provide learning goals. The same goes for the company portal. It needs help.

A great place to work

Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

Pros

I have been working for MetLife for almost 10 years. In that that time I have been promoted three times and have been given a significant amount of flexability to run my organization as I see fit.

Cons

The corporate controllers department at times is a lean and mean which requires an average work week of 50-60 hrs. In addition, I beleive we are probably a little top heavy in the officer ranks and we are probably due for a right sizing if the economy remains in the recession.

Advice to Management

Focus on what we do well. Sometimes we try to be all things to all people.