There are newer employer reviews for Metier

When a job becomes more than just work...

Current Employee - Project Analyst in Santa Rosa, CA
Current Employee - Project Analyst in Santa Rosa, CA

I have been working at Metier

Pros

Métier’s open space environment extends beyond the desk arrangement. As a young professional there are three things that I considered high-priority when looking for a job. 1) Training and professional development outside of my immediate assignment. 2) Interesting and challenging work that pushes me as an individual and professional. 3) A company culture that extends beyond the office environment into the community. I found all three at Métier.

The intake training process at Métier is an intense two-week boot-camp focused on learning the ins-and-outs of our software and services. Training is a company-wide effort with many departments collaborating to support new-hires. Having a job at Métier is contingent on successfully completing boot-camp. Regular coaching sessions with management and ‘brown-bag’ presentations ensure that professional training and development extend beyond the intake training. A continuing education allowance further solidifies Métier’s commitment to individual and professional development.

As part of a relatively new and small department within Métier I am asked to do many tasks with which I have no experience. From being a part of a new-feature development team to supporting Sales and Consulting – anything is game. Completion of these assignments requires the ability to work both as an individual and as part of a team.

Métier culture extends beyond the office. Company wide holiday parties, cocktail and wine-tasting happy-hours and community service events are the norm at Métier. Projects like ‘Protectors to Project Managers’ aren’t done to promote the company – they’re done to foster a relationship with the community in which we live. Work hard, play hard, give back.

Cons

In a relatively small company with such large aspirations it can be daunting to stay in-tune with company priorities. It’s up to the individual to maintain a priority list and not to let individual priorities slip by the wayside. Management will support individual goals, but it’s up you to schedule time to catch up on lower-priority items.

Advice to Management

Management understands that Métier will be a stepping-stone for many individuals, but there are definitely those of us who would like to stay long-term. The CEO fully embraces that ‘most [employees] will not retire from Métier’ but he also tries to focus on employees who would like to grow long term here. The Professional Development Program does just that and is certainly a giant-leap forward on this front against other companies I’ve worked for and offers a great foundation on which to build a strong employee retention program. Management should continue to invest in and grow the professional development program to encourage employees to continuously grow their career.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Success is not an option its a corporate culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Rosa, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Rosa, CA

I have been working at Metier

Pros

As mentioned before Métier is an excellent company to grow your career and really learn to become a true professional. Métier is a company based on smart business values and will teach you to apply those values throughout your career. The company culture at Métier can be easily explained as "work hard, play hard". There is a lot asked of the employees but rewards, benefits and bonuses(raises) are also frequently given out. Remember all rewards, benefits and bonuses (raises) are earned not expected just as in life.

One of the great aspects of Métier and especially the management team is that success is not an option it is a requirement. When there is a big win for the company every employee feels as if he or she contributed. The management team does a great job mentoring and educating the staff that every decision made will affect the business and their career. This does not mean that you will be fired for making a mistake but rather you are encouraged to learn from your mistakes and apply that knowledge in the future.

If you are looking for a career not a job then Métier is a great company to look into.

Cons

The only downside I can see from my experience here at Métier is that this is not a simple job it is a career and lifestyle change. If you are looking for a regular 9-5 and do not want to be presented with a challenge everyday this is not the company for you. There is no daily routine at the company, a day can be very dynamic and throw lots of curve balls.

Advice to Management

My advice for management is to keep on doing what they are doing rewarding success, hard work and good business decisions.

Get in, Get out

Former Employee - Project Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Project Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at Metier

Pros

The A Number 1 reason to work at Metier is to get a lot of experience very quickly. At a company as small and young as this one, you will have an abundance of opportunities to tackle new challenges and take on responsibilities that you may or may not be ready (or qualified) for. If you're a smart go-getter, this will work out well to build you resume, hone your skills, and make valuable connections. Take advantage of these opportunities.

The layout of the office space and somewhat laid back culture of the company also alleviate some of the monotony of coming to work everyday. Being surrounded by other young and social co-workers makes things fun at times as well.

By in large, this isn't an awful place to work IF you have a game plan in mind for what you hope to get out of it and execute on that plan.

Cons

The reason I say you need to get in and get out because the longer you are there, the messier things will get. You'll find that credit, recognition, and communication are reserved for those in the "inner circle." Secret meetings abound. Now, I completely understand the need to have closed-door or executive level meetings at times (let's face it, not all information is meant to be shared). However, this company takes that to an extreme that borders on paranoia. The problem is that with a company of young, bright, and outgoing people is that nothing stays a secret for long.

You will also find your ideas for improvements or opportunities are either squashed or stolen. If you are to succeed here, you'll have to get used to the reality that your expectations of the company and leadership (however modest they may be) will fail to be met. Promotions, raises, recognitions, and even commissions are done ad-hoc at best. The best sales leads (regardless of where they came from) will be cherry-picked by the COO (co-owner of the company), and the commissions paid to her. Take pride in your personal accomplishments, use them to build a solid resume and rapport with your client, and promptly plan an exit strategy.

Lastly, there are two examples I will provide that should raise a red flag to anyone who considers working here. Red flag #1 - When you receive your offer they will force you to accept within 24hrs. This is so that you do not have time to consider multiple jobs/offers. No reputable company does this, so let that serve as fair warning to you. Red flag #2 - During your exit interview, they will likely ask you "So, who do you feel is the next person to leave the company?". If that isn't a sure sign of executive paranoia, I'm not sure what is. So before taking a job here, you gotta ask yourself...is it really worth it? Think about it!

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to actually embrace the culture you've put down on paper. Words, strategies, meetings, and random acts of fun do not make a culture. It is the everyday actions of EVERYONE in the company that makes a culture. I think this could be a great company to work for if the fun, open, collaborative culture that is sold to everyone were actually real. But it turns, it's really just a facade whether everyone realizes it or not. Give credit where it's due and don't be afraid to tell people...the truth!