Metro Systems (VA)

www.metrosystemsinc.com

A Huge Disappointment

Technical Recruiter (Former Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsGood work life balance, 40k salary right out of college, young atmosphere- you will probably fit in if you were in greek life or a sports team in college.

ConsMetro Systems was founded on the same robotic model that many of the big players in the staffing industry play by (Apex, TekSystems, Insight Global, etc.). They hire solely recent grads with zero professional experience. This is mainly because they are naive, and are the only ones who will play by the owners rules, or as they say in the interview, "are mold-able." Everyone from the company interviews you, and seeing all the young and hopeful faces, it's hard not to feel some credibility and therefore encourage you to accept the position.

Everyone starts in a technical recruiter position, and is expected to move into sales. I personally never understood this model, as some of the best recruiters may not thrive in sales (and vice versa). The technology training is sparse, and after 2 weeks of pretty much sitting around, you hit the phones. Recruiting isn't brain surgery, and that's what these small shops are banking on. Most anyone can talk candidates through a job description, bring them in, and basically read over their resume once again to make sure they will represent the company well. I will say, recruiting in general is a great professional skill, and these interactions and internal interviews are a positive experience for the developing young professional.

If you show any type of slight interest, or are there too long, you will move into sales. Most of the recruiters in the pit seem to fear the position- as no one has stayed with the organization long enough to actually be successful. The sales training is non-existent as it is pretty much "uncharted territory" for the company. 22 and 23 year olds with basically no training, little IT exposure, and a short tenure in the industry, are expected to meet Sr. level execs and managers to sell the business. There is no set system of prospecting, and the majority of the people who would take the meetings prove to not be useful in gaining new business.

I just felt like the legitimacy factor was not there, as well as the morals that served as the backbone on the business.

Proceed with caution. I came in hoping for the best and believing in the vision of the company. However, I ended my employment there with the harsh realization that these promises were not truths.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf two executives are going to run an organization of entirely entry level employees, they both must be present at least 40 hours a week. Leaving young, recent grads to their own devices and without direction isn't beneficial to the company or the employees.
Also, be compassionate to the employees of the organization. Treating people as if they are expendable (even though entry level grads are) is disheartening for the morale and internal confidence in the vision of the organization. Learn from your mistakes, and try to somehow put an end of the current 100% yearly turnover rate.

Hard work required, but chance to earn lots of $$$

Technical Recruiter (Current Employee) Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Metro Systems (VA) full-time for less than a year

Pros: I've worked in the staffing industry since 2005. Throughout my career I always felt like I was a day late and a dollar short with… Cons: Nothing. Continue to hire and take market share. Advice to Senior Management: Continue to build upon the foundation that's established and hire… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Hidden Contingency , wait for other vendors to call for the same position

Business Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Metro Systems (VA) as a contractor

Pros: Very Professionally place the candidates with their cleints Very tactically play… Cons: Hidden One yr contingency which do not permit to… Advice to Senior Management: You guys have played games due to the contingency issues.First of all your client do not know to… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Metro Systems (VA).

Worked for Metro Systems (VA)? Contribute to the Community!