Metromedia Energy

Toxic Environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eatontown, NJ
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eatontown, NJ

I worked at Metromedia Energy

Pros

Very good salary time off & health benefits.

Excellent sales people to work with - extremely helpful.

Summer hours are a nice benefit.

Cons

The company sells lower priced energy, i.e. electricity & natural gas to commercial customers only.

They were one of the first to get into this business, ~ 15 years ago, no real competition back then, and have become very complacent.

90% of your job is by telephone - and you're calling people who will tell you that you are the third person that day to call about reducing their energy costs. They discourage you going out on the road to cold call or meet with customers - they don't trust you.

Management is completely clueless about marketing and sales management.

The only marketing and sales plan is to keep sending the same marketing materials to the same companies - with the same results - near zero return. It's not unusual to get the return envelope either empty of filled with junk.

You know the definition of insanity, right? It's practiced here.

They offer minimal training - in what can be a very complex contract with the 12+ electricity suppliers and the customer. I fould this to be very strange in a company that pays very well. I lost several sales due to lack of training/knowledge of the industry.

They rule by fear and untimidation. You are told (by your fellow sales people w/in the first week you are there) to keep your head down & your mouth shut. Never complain.

If you don't make sales, you are fired. Understandable, but no help/support from management.

It's like an insurance company - if/when you get fired, they keep your accounts, and your residual commissions. And they don't have to pay your salary. See their incentive?

No support from the "Sales Manager" - only; "...need more sales".

Sales Mgr. is not trusted - he also is in sales and seen as competition from the sales team; ex.: does he keep the good leads for himself? I doubt if he has ever previously held a sales managers position before.

Their marketing/sales plan is to have the sales team watch "webinars" - which may or may not be relevant (which means the sales manager/CEO didn't review content, which means you/they wasted an hour and a half of your time). But you don't care.

If the webinar content is relevant, then that becomes the "sales mantra" for the week - again showing that the CEO/Sales Manager is clueless and have no ideas of their own.

The sales people are all great to work with, extremely helpful. But they come in at 8:58am, and are putting on their coats at 4:58pm. That says they want to spend the minimum time at work.

Without a comphresensive and integrated marketing and sales plan, competition will eat their lunch, and competition is rapidly heating up.

Get a real/experienced sales/marketing manager.

14 Other Employee Reviews for Metromedia Energy (View Most Recent)

Great sales environment, happy to be here

I have been working at Metromedia Energy full-time

Pros

I am a current employee at MME. Although I have been here for less than one year, my experience so far has been positive. My fellow coworkers are professional and willing to lend a helping hand. Management’s door is always open if I have a question or concern. The company is growing and changing which makes me excited about my future here.

Cons

The only small con is there is no designated lunch room. I would like to be able to bring in my lunch and not have to sit at my desk to eat it.

I am still new here and do not have any advice for management.

Great company and working atmosphere

Current Employee - Management
    Current Employee - Management

I have been working at Metromedia Energy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have been employed by Metromedia Energy for almost 12 years and the majority of employees are also long term. They offer a good salary along with a great benefit package. The people work well together both within departments as well as between departments. I personally have worked at different levels with most departments and find there is a good sense of camaraderie. We are treated with respect by all and there is genuine concern professionally and personally.

Cons

During lunch hour and at the end of the day , the traffic causes some delays.

The only thing I can suggest would be to have more office wide meetings to boost the communication and understanding between departments.

There are newer employer reviews for Metromedia Energy