There are newer employer reviews for Metropolitan Museum of Art

Comfortable, low pressure atmosphere but a clear expectation of competence

I have been working at Metropolitan Museum of Art

Pros

The benefits package is generous and the performance expectations are fair. The Met's standards are high, and while the hiring process is competitive, the working atmosphere is notably respectful and collegial.

Cons

Generally, salaries are low compared to the salaries of similar positions in the for-profit sector. There is little room for promotion or career advancement within each department, although working at the Met (even as a volunteer) could presumably be a helpful resume boost when searching for a higher position at another institution or company.

Advice to Management

Management could be more decisive in parcelling out tasks and organizing time. Many managers sometimes hoard work instead of distributing tasks among lower-level employees.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Very positive environment with many passionate people.

I have been working at Metropolitan Museum of Art

Pros

So many careers paths to take in the company. I feel that its benefit package if more then fair.

Cons

It is almost impossible to get a job at the Metropolitan; even entry level positions unless you know someone. Moving up in the company is just as difficult. Being one of the top museums in the world, I feel that salaries across the board should be a bit higher.

Advice to Management

My advice is directed to Human Resources. I feel that should respond to all applications submitted by current employees. I have applied to several position that I felt that I was qualified for and never received a response.

2. It feels like a high school environment

Former Employee - Security Officer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Security Officer in New York, NY

I worked at Metropolitan Museum of Art

Pros

Decent starting salary, 20s-30s Benefits after probationary period (4 mos) Celebrity sightings Stationed in historic galleries Diverse workforce Great supervisors Entitled to employee discounts at Met Store

Cons

High volume of crowds throughout the year Training is insufficient for newcomers Long periods of standing on your feet You get vacation time after a few years Managers can be unfriendly if you get on their bad side Any complaints can lead to an instant termination No opportunities for advancement Too much gossip among co-workers

Advice to Management

Improve the training for newcomers Communication among co-workers needs to be improved. Performance reviews should be mandatory every year and conducted by the Managers Make an effort to resolve complaints