Metropolitan State University

There are newer employer reviews for Metropolitan State University

GREAT

Current Employee - Community Faculty  in  Saint Paul, MN
Current Employee - Community Faculty in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Metropolitan State University part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Small somewhat isolated departments with almost no politics running independently. Support staff is good and seems to realize they are making a difference since they are the only thing holding the organization together. Highly flexible and able to bend the rules when reasonable (people tend to think instead of parrot policies.) Managed with less waste than I have ever seen, businesses included.

Cons

Too politically correct, especially for a University; more like a business - too risk adverse. The isolated groups never know what each is doing so collaboration is weak - not that it is needed. Faculty workshops are next to useless and that is why nobody goes to them. Often the theme of workshops is decades behind the times. The IT dept is about as bad as everywhere else - horribly underfunded and too many bad attitudes. The website is lousy. Faculty have to for pay parking in the school's ramp. Security cameras on campus to catch the criminals - students do not feel safe going to their cars and there is not enough security escorts to cover the number of people who WOULD ask for one if there wasn't a stigma and an attitude involved. They could use a job placement dept to help graduating students.

Fund IT dept and demand better service. Make workshops mandatory, smaller sized, more unconventional and remove the usually pointless keynotes; something that builds community like group activities. Staff will share ideas and experiences on their own; prompt a starting point for discussion and let them loose to play bingo or volleyball etc. Improve campus security. Clean up the list serve - we have enough email! Allow us to use our own email tools. Given that email is the only method of communication it should be given much more attention. Stop with all the no-surprise fire drills or at least do them during a break period if you have to rob me of that time every semester. I'd like to know why we are forced to be treated like children - fire drills at this age? How about a FAQ for staff so we can see why policies like this happen? I'm being critical but it appears to me the school runs itself so management should get some credit for this amazing organization working so well.

8 Other Employee Reviews for Metropolitan State University (View Most Recent)

Great Changes

Current Employee - Program Support  in  Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Program Support in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Metropolitan State University full-time for less than a year

Pros

I work in the College of Community, Health, and Professional Studies (CHCPS), specifically in the School of Nursing, and I love it! The office environment is open and supportive and everyone is very hard-working. CHCPS is undergoing some fundamental shifts right now (we used to be two colleges and were merged into one 2 years ago) and most people are supportive and positive regarding the direction we're moving.

Cons

The University as a whole, and even some within CHCPS, struggle to communicate openly and create a positive working environment.

Good people, solid work.

Former Employee - Intern  in  Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Intern in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Metropolitan State University as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Really enjoyed the level of comfort and respect members of academia afford professionals. They talk to you about their ideas, solicit feedback, and amenable to changes.

Cons

Quite frankly, contract experience ended much too quickly. Really enjoyed working with this crew.

None.

There are newer employer reviews for Metropolitan State University

Worked for Metropolitan State University? Contribute to the Community!