There are newer employer reviews for Miami

This is not a place to look for a career, I am here for the benefits.

Current Employee - Personnel Officer  in  Miami, FL
Current Employee - Personnel Officer in Miami, FL

I have been working at Miami

Pros

good medical plan, holidays, vacation, work-life balance

Cons

Little opportunity for advancement. Many positions filled by those who are politically connected even though we are under a hiring freeze.

There should be more employee training and easier pathways to promotion.

10 Other Employee Reviews for Miami (View Most Recent)

Work here for low stress and adequate pay then leave.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I have been working at Miami

Pros

The people are great to work with. There is never a problem when I need to take off. Pension, health insurance, bank holidays. Steady paycheck. I have a great boss but his boss, the department director, is horrible. After hours parties, free cultural events with lots of food. Diverse staff. Great place to work if you enjoy doing what you are told to do and do not think about anything else to contribute. Low stress. Diverse assignments. Good place to work if you are interested in a future in local politics (You will learn who to avoid and who will help you). Hard to get fired.

Cons

This is not a place to work if you are very ambitious. Lots of beuracracy (it's government). Organization is slow to change. Possibilities for promotion are slim, specifically for me. Cubicles, drab carpeting and paint unless you work in a specific department which have been updated. Constant interruptions. Many times instead of a promotion a person will need to apply for the position and may not get the promotion because a better applicant will apply from outside the organization. Work is not stimulating. Miami-Dade County offers better benefits and are located a few blocks away.

Recognize individuals who want to make the City a better place. Incentivize idea generation that brings the organization into the 21st century.

City of Miami on a downward spiral.

I have been working at Miami

Pros

Miami has a good benefits package, inclusive of a pension program and comprehensive medical benefits. Goverment discounts are also available to City employees.

Cons

The nepotism and cronism in the City of Miami is at an all time high. Over qualified people are looked over for positions that under qualified people are being hired for.

Allow the experts in their respective fields do their job. You hire competent people so you don't have to DO their work for them.

There are newer employer reviews for Miami

Worked for Miami? Contribute to the Community!