There are newer employer reviews for Michael Baker

Corporate will always put profits first, but local offices are still full of good people.

Current Employee - Civil Associate II
Current Employee - Civil Associate II

I have been working at Michael Baker full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I always felt like I had a good support structure and my manager would always take the time to answer my questions. Expectations for my performance were clearly given to me. Excellent health insurance choices and slightly above average 401(K) match. Excellent IT Support. Excellent sick leave policy (does not come out of vacation time).

Even though this is a big company, if you show up every day with a smile and a willingness to do whatever is asked of you, it will be noticed. Never say you don't know how to do something, only that you want to find out how and you can carve out a successful career as an engineer here.

Cons

The corporate office will always put profits ahead of personnel. It's the little things, like cancelled Christmas parties right after the CEO gives a webcast saying how the company has $100M in the bank that hurt morale. 401(K) matches and raises were suspended for quite some time while the stock price was down, despite everyone being busy and keeping our clients very happy. Basically, anytime profits are lower than last quarter, look for something to be cut. Be prepared to ask for a raise because they will never volunteer to give you one, even if you deserve it.

Until October 2013, Baker was publicly traded, but took a lot of direction from the stake holder group "DC Capital". After that time, DC Capital bought all the stock, so it is now a privately owned company. DC Capital made it well known that their primary concern is profits (how much money they can squeeze out of the company) so look for the pressure to continue to be highly billable and to keep your expenses down. There is limited opportunities to non-management employees to attend conferences because they don't want to make those relatively small investments in their employees.

Some offices are still using non-3D AutoCAD 2010 which really hurts productivity. It's past time for Baker to invest in their software.

Advice to Management

Take care of your people. Stock prices move up and down but you won't get good performance out of employees if they feel like a just another line on your balance sheet.

reviews filtered by

Civil Associate

I have been working at Michael Baker

Pros

Pretty laid back for engineering company

Cons

I think the pay could be a little better

Loyalty and dedication will get you nowhere.

I worked at Michael Baker full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They have good insurance and benefits.

Cons

They have no sense of loyalty to there employees.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to pay more attention to middle management. You have cowardly "leaders" there, who cost you money because they are afraid to take on smaller paying jobs when work is hard to find. They are so busy looking for a million dollar project that they walk past five million dollars worth of nickel projects. They just don't see the big picture and once they get in a bind, they get rid of their hourly employees to save themselves.

There are newer employer reviews for Michael Baker