Michael Kors

www.michaelkors.com
  www.michaelkors.com
There are newer employer reviews for Michael Kors

Great experience and training

I have been working at Michael Kors part-time (more than an year)

Pros

They give you great training on how to be an excellent sales person

Cons

Hard not to want to buy everything, promotions were rare, growth rate was low

work like balance, at the time my manager was sick a lot and it made it very hard to want to work for her, while she was always out. the assistant manager on the other hand was a work horse and set a great example on work ethic.

263 Other Employee Reviews for Michael Kors (View Most Recent)

Jetset company culture

I have been working at Michael Kors full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Promote from within (I started as an intern) and are able to move from dept to dept to find right fit (although sometimes can be more challenging at times). More often than not you are surrounded by knowledgable and friendly people. Most employees either stay a yr or are lifers (6-10+ yrs!)

Cons

Work - life balance is off unless you set limits from the beginning. Time off is a little bit of a joke (10 days) but seems to be industry standard. Depending on your dept there can be a limit to career growth.

Hell on Earth

Former Employee - Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Michael Kors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Good Benefits
    -Clothing Allowance
    -Looks good on resume

Cons

The biggest issue with Michael Kors is the complete lack of respect the company has for its employees. By the end of my tenure at the company, I was working minimum 12 hours a day, usually more like 15, and I worked at least 2 weekends a month just to keep up with my increasing workload and I did not make overtime. No one thought that this was unacceptable or unhealthy. When I expressed that I was overwhelmed, I was told "work harder." I felt that there was very little support from HR and that I did not have a place to express my concerns about my working environment.

Additionally, though the company has good benefits, I felt that I was routinely intimidated into not using or taking advantage of these benefits. For example, my manager routinely told me I could not schedule doctors appointments and I was not allowed to use my vacation days despite several requests to do so.

Furthermore, in my particular department, they promoted people to managerial levels who were not prepared for the responsibility, causing an incredibly hostile environment. Instead of working together to find solutions to problems, it was a constant "blame game." I was regularly berated and saw others receive the same treatment.

The standard mode of communication throughout the company is passive aggressive. The abusive nature of my department was well-known throughout the company, but HR made absolutely no effort to stop the abuse.

DO NOT WORK HERE. No company or name on your resume is worth this kind of environment.

HR should monitor departments more closely to understand if there is undue strain on its employees. It needs to stop protecting upper management who abuse their employees solely because Michael values/likes them.

New managers should receive more extensive training and guidance.

There should be a better annual review system. It places all of the power in the hands of the manager and does not allow for employees to report lack of support or issues with management.

There are newer employer reviews for Michael Kors